• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

old age pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
One of my six pigs is now nearly six years old she is a healthy pig with no real sighns of age is there anything i should be giving her extra to keep her healthy and what is the average age for a indoor piggy .

two of my girls are heading for 6 now too, and live in the shed outside, mine have minor health problems but i havent changed anything, or given them anything differewnt o what they are use to having :)

6 years is about average for indoor pigs.,although they can go to 9 and beyond.
I treat my oldies the same as my other piggies,although they do get more thorough health checks every day.I treat problems if and when they occur.

All my pigs are on vet beds anyway,so the oldies are warm and dry.I do keep an eye on urinary input/output.

If I have a pig that is starting to look frail,I give one drop of Abidec about 3 times a week and hand feed veggies twice a day to make sure they are getting their share.Frail pigs will sometimes let other pigs take their food.Having said that,I have an old lady who is very tiny and frail,but woe any pig that tries to take her food!.She is amazing.I have been expecting her to collapse every day for the past 4 months!.

One of my girls is nearing 6 and lives outside in a shed. She appears to have gone deaf, has a cataract in one eye and sleeps alot more than she used to. Sometimes she is so fast asleep she is not even aware of me being there until she smells me or food if it's tea time. Apart from this she is still very lively when awake and eats as well as she always has. She lives with 3 other girls all under a year old and she is the boss. She keeps them all in order and takes no nonsense from them. I don't really do anything different with her now she is older except maybe let her have the biggest dandelion and little treats like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back