• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Oh no whats has happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggybaker

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
O help it is horrendous I went to check on my girl cloud this morningand her eye has turned white completely :'( she does not appear to be in pain, but its looks so horrible , does anyone had any experience of this happening to there pigs.
She does have a cage mate but they get on just fine.

HELP. ?

Emma

PS respond soon.

This is what Peter Gurney says about eye injuries:

The most common eye injury is the result of the guinea pig rooting around in the hay and getting poked in the eye by a piece of it. If you notice a guinea pig with a watering eye check the surface of the eye for any scoring. Obviously, also check at the same time to see if there is any foreign body in it. More often than not it is not until the eye goes opaque about a day after the injury that it is noticed and by this time the eye is well on the mend. A dab of Brolene eye ointment is recommend and the eye should be monitored for a few days of course.

If you are at all worried, then take her to the vet but if she has no nasty discharge coming out of it and it is not swollen/causing her any discomfort then it is probably well on its way to healing itself.

I have had this problem before with a couple of mine. I would recommend that you take her to a vet. She will probably need antibiotic eye drops. Damage by hay can cause an ulcer to develop on the eye so its best to have it looked at.

Once mine started with the treatment then it improved very quickly. :)

She will soon be fine! :)

yes it sounds like an ulcer that could have been caused from a scratch or poke in the eye from hay. the vet can easily treat this try not to worry.

I agree with everyone who has said you need a vet visit, none of us can afford to waste time when it comes to eye problems or injuries.

My criteria with guinea health care is ~ if it were myself with the problem...would I self treat or see my GP.

So if I had woken up this morning and my eye looked your guineas...would I be asking on a forum what I should do! Nope, I'd be on the phone pronto to my doctor.
Just an example of the way I tend to judge situations ;)

If in doubt I always take them to the vet asap. I certainly never play around with eye problems, only the vet can access if she has an ulcer or not and this generally dictates the treatment.
Hope all goes well and let us know what your vets says :)

Barbara

cavykind said:
My criteria with guinea health care is ~ if it were myself with the problem...would I self treat or see my GP.

So if I had woken up this morning and my eye looked your guineas...would I be asking on a forum what I should do! Nope, I'd be on the phone pronto to my doctor.
Just an example of the way I tend to judge situations ;)

What a good way to judge a problem Barbara! However I tend to care for my piggies health better than I do my own! LOL On one of the rare times I had made appointment for myself at doctors I drove there and was parking car when I realised I was at the vets not the doctors! Luckily I realised before I went in!

Have you taken her to the vet Emma? What have they said/prescribed for Cloud? :)

Barbara

Well have taken cloud to the vet!!

just as we were leaving the house I saw it! a MASSIVE hay dart sticking out of her eye. I got it out, I have never seen one as big as this before know wonder the poor little things eye was so white. Vet checked it gave me some drops and £42 later i am at home with a very content pig of which i am pleased,
But why do the vets charge so much money for such a small thing especially as i told him what was wrong and what had happened and that i just wanted her eye checked .

Vets have you over an emotional barrel especially as he gave me eye drops but there is no infection >:( he said it will heal on its own.

Emma

piggybaker said:
But why do the vets charge so much money for such a small thing especially as i told him what was wrong and what had happened and that i just wanted her eye checked .

Emma

If your vet gave you an itemised biill it should be clear what you paid for. What does your vet charge for a consultation re small animals? Which eyedrops were you given out of interest?
It does seem a lot of money but vet fees vary depending on the area of the country...among other things.

Barbara

I'm so glad you found the problem Emma. Sending her extra cuddles and kisses to get her better quickly :-* :-* :-* :-*

BTW about the vets bills it is excessive but i do get an itemised account each time, if it's a follow up he doesn't charge as much. You know i would've spent more than $2,000.00 Australian on Duke, but i love him and i just do it. OH has no idea i rip up the accounts and always tell him way less than what it really was, he'd totally freak out :o

Yes i would empty my bank balence for my pigs and really at the end of the day they are worth every penny. ;D
The vet consultance fee is £22 the eye drop die they put in the eye(funnile enough) was £10 and the eye drops £10 >:(

But all very much needed ::).

The vet also got a modle out and showed as to why the eye had turned white and what can happen to the eye when a hay dart goes in.

them

piggybaker said:
The vet consultance fee is £22 the eye drop die they put in the eye(funnile enough) was £10 and the eye drops £10 >:(

them

All nice round figures ;)
Charging you £10.00 for that eye drop to test for the ulcer is beggars belief.
Which eye drops were you prescribd to take home Emma, if you don't mind me asking :)

Barbara

I've just got back from vets with dobby my bill was £22 that includes baytril and fiberplex which costs £10 hope her eyes ok now I have some drops I get from vet on a regular thing with my pigs and just save it for next time as long as its in the time to be used by, so occasionally I can do it myself if i now its a hay barb thats caused it,

piggybaker said:

my vet wanted about $60 just too SEE my budgie who i knew was dying anyway! thats without treatment... Its rediculous!

cavykind said:
piggybaker said:

them

All nice round figures ;)
Charging you £10.00 for that eye drop to test for the ulcer is beggars belief.
Which eye drops were you prescribd to take home Emma, if you don't mind me asking :)

Barbara
sorry have been bit busy the vet perscribed Fucithalmic eye ointment ,
Her eye is begining to clear and she is looking much happier :D I am so chuffed even her fur is looking more glossy again, guineas go down hill so quickly, :'(

i know what you mean... my first guinea was fine one day and died the next... we dont know why though! it was so sudden :( glad to hear your piggie is feeling better!

Thanks and sorry for your loss did you have two or just the one and did you replace him/her. :-\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back