• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Oh dear - too much grass

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicano

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My pigs have grass every day (picked for them), and were out yesterday on it. They were out a bit longer today, while they were being cleaned out, and I think Cassie has tummy ache. :( She is laying flat and whimpering (although is still pretty feisty). I've given her 1 ml of Infacol and massaged her sides lightly. Have seen a couple of poos, which looked normal. Have also put some probiotic in the water. Hope she's going to be OK! :o

Thanks for this. :) Just to update, I think things are better now. She certainly looks happier. I just hope the other 2 are OK. Ironically, it's Sukie who is normally the bloaty one (she has an ongoing digestive problem - probiotics help), but Cassie is the greedy one, so maybe she just went a bit mad.

Cassie seems OK this morning, but I haven't given any veg or grass, just hay. Have never used Infacol on piggies before, only bunnies. Have also never had any problems with Cassie up to now.

Sukie has a constant case of too much gas (has been picked up on x ray - great bubbles of it), so I have to be very careful with veggies with her, but she is fine with grass, ironically enough! Probiotics seem to help her more than anything.

oh gosh, poor love. The gas gets worse with certain types of veggies? Or just them all? She's in the right hands anyway :)

Aww.... thanks. :) All veggies affect her to some extent (have to be careful on volume, as she can't really have none). Cabbagey types are the worst, but cutting them out completely doesn't seem to help. Ironically, despite the fact that she can eat fresh grass without problems, the dried grass you can buy like Readigrass etc is terrible for her, so I never feed it.

Yep, she's ok with cucumber in moderation. You know when you have an animal who is always ill with something and needs lots of special care? Well that's my Sukie! But I think because of that she's my little favourite! :smitten: :embarassed:

pelicano said:
Yep, she's ok with cucumber in moderation. You know when you have an animal who is always ill with something and needs lots of special care? Well that's my Sukie! But I think because of that she's my little favourite! :smitten: :embarassed:

Aww I know what you mean! Ton is cos of his problems at the moment and also cos he's the oldest and sings to me :smitten:

I feel the same about having favourites!

Yup I know what you mean, I love all my piggers but my little Chester is my favourite :smitten: he's a little mummys boy and I think when you have to look after them, syringing etc you do build a special bond with them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back