• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Off to Vets...fighting or mites?

• Thread starter Thread starter lesley
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lesley

Just checked my boys and they both have marks on their backs! The little one has a small mark but the bigger one has what look like scratches and a wound. I am a novice so going to make sure its not mites etc. I've never seen them fight and there is nothing on their faces or ears to suggest fighting. Do you think the little one is bullying Boo? ( so called because he's more timid.) They seemed so well bonded, but both young. During floor time there were some chuntering noises, don't know if this is teeth chattering or not! Am I over reacting with the Vet? Lesley

No Lesley you are not, you are doing the right thing. Any concerns over your piggies helath you should always get yourself down to the vets

You're doing the right thing :) it sounds more like mites to me but I'm no expert. The chuntering was probably just their litle noise, i think you'd know if you heard chattering, theres no mistaking it and its horrible! good luck at the vets x

Always best to get things checked out if you're not sure.
Good luck at the vets. O0

Aargh.. it's wounds..the little one maybe asserting himself! Can't believe it they were so happy together, we have just moved them into a bigger hutch with under run and now it's war! The vet gave me cream and said hopefully it's a transient stage cos they're young but wants me to keep a close eye on them and report on Friday...am relieved it's not mites but gutted they are fighting. He said it maybe transient cos they usually have fight marks on their face ears etc! Is this it though ...do I have to seperate them?! Lesley p.s. cost me £50! is that normal!

£50 seems excessive if the vet only looked at them and gave you cream. I took Lennie to the vet for a check up when I first got him as his living conditions where I rescued him from were awful. The vet also clipped his nails and gave him a thorough examination all for £6 :o

Sorry for the delay in response but my computer crashed! He looked at them both, chatted and then gave me cream. He seemed lovely and wants me to update him...is it London prices or extortion! Lesley....p.s. found new scratch on Boo! Lesley

That's expensive just to look at them and some cream, do you know how much the consultation was? I'm thinking maybe he charged you two consultations (because of two guinea pigs ther e- although most vegs only charge one consultation but hey) and then the cream..

OOooh never thought of that! Will check. I wondered if it was because I asked to be seen the same day! Lesley

Hi Lesley,

You have been ripped off I think.A cream(what is the cream by the way?) ,should not cost more than £10,and the consultation fees for a piggy seem to vary between £12 - £18 ,should certainly not be more than the latter.He should not charge double to see 2 pigs for the same problem.,and you def.should not pay extra to be seen the same day.

The best cream for gp wounds is Calendula which costs about £4 a pot or tube from a health food store.These fight wounds heal quickly anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back