Odd behaviour after boarding

RedSunset

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need help with my 2 year boars. I returned from a weeks holiday today after my friend collected my pig brood yesterday afternoon for me. They have concerned me greatly as they have not eaten or pooped, I was scared they were dying as they were very lethargic. I have given them water, probiotics and critical care feed but they are hiding in a corner snuggling together. Do you think they could be stressed from being away from home? This is the first time they have been but have been with others they live with. Is this usual behaviout and is there anything I can do to help them? Thank you

Welcome to the forum. I don't know if it's relevant but my boys sulk for days after I've been away. It's very clear that they're not talking to me.
Could this be the case?
P.S. you should change your location to something more general than your postcode.

Welcome to the forum

They are likely scared and unsettled and need some time.

I would go back to basics - cover their cage with a blanket and let them settle back in for a few days, just as if they are new piggies again.

I would, importantly, make sure you keep up with the routine weight checks and syringe feeding daily if there is any concern they aren’t eating.

Also, if you had cleaned out their cage before you went away then their cage will have had their scents removed so that will also unsettle them.

New Guinea Pigs: How to Best Manage Arrival and Settling In
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

Thank you for your responses. I've been up twice in the night to syringe feed them critical care, probiotics and sugar water.
They are in quite an open cage so I'll need to think what to cover them with. It's the fact they're not eating and one of the boys doesn't seem to be passing anything, I've been rubbing their tummies to help stimulate their guts.
I weighed them both last night and luckily they are a very good weight but will keep this up daily.
They have never been away from home since they were born so I feel awful if I've traumatised them 😔 I have 9 pigs altogether and the rest seem absolutely fine. It's just very strange how these 2 boys are so different.

Thank you for your responses. I've been up twice in the night to syringe feed them critical care, probiotics and sugar water.
They are in quite an open cage so I'll need to think what to cover them with. It's the fact they're not eating and one of the boys doesn't seem to be passing anything, I've been rubbing their tummies to help stimulate their guts.
I weighed them both last night and luckily they are a very good weight but will keep this up daily.
They have never been away from home since they were born so I feel awful if I've traumatised them 😔 I have 9 pigs altogether and the rest seem absolutely fine. It's just very strange how these 2 boys are so different.

Please do not give sugar water - it offers absolutely no benefits and can actually cause further problems and gut upsets by unbalancing further what may already be struggling.

If he isn’t passing any poop then he likely hasnt been eating properly for few days and the issue may extend beyond stress of coming home again.

Has there been any weight loss between you dropping them off before your holiday and this morning?
Weight checks are best done first thing each morning rather than in an evening

Syringe feed between 60-90ml per day.
If there is any suspicion of bloat or stasis you should call an emergency vet today - gut stimulant medication may be needed. I would call the vet tomorrow anyway even if you don’t need an emergency today.

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
Wiebke's Guide to Poops
Digestive Disorders: Not Eating - Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement)

Please do not give sugar water - it offers absolutely no benefits and can actually cause further problems and gut upsets by unbalancing further what may already be struggling.

If he isn’t passing any poop then he likely hasnt been eating properly for few days and the issue may extend beyond stress of coming home again.

Has there been any weight loss between you dropping them off before your holiday and this morning?
Weight checks are best done first thing each morning rather than in an evening

Syringe feed between 60-90ml per day.
If there is any suspicion of bloat or stasis you should call an emergency vet today - gut stimulant medication may be needed. I would call the vet tomorrow anyway even if you don’t need an emergency today.

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
Wiebke's Guide to Poops
Digestive Disorders: Not Eating - Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement)
Thanks again for your response. I have knocked the sugar water on the head and they are now having probiotics and critical care. I also gave them a bundle of freshly cut grass this morning and one of my boys, Ralph was nibbling at it. Didn't have an awful lot but it's a start 🤞

I am quite concerned about my other lad Fergus, he's the biggest pig I have and it doesn't look like they have lost weight since they came home. He's had around 10ml of critical care today but it's a battle with him to get him to take it. I will try again with them both in an hour or so.

They don't appear to have bloat but I could hear Fergus gut gurgling earlier this morning, he's the only one that has passed anything but it's quite stringy and dark. Will the critical care and probiotics help their digestive system? I have them on avipro plus, 1 scoop to 200ml of water.

Thanks again for your response. I have knocked the sugar water on the head and they are now having probiotics and critical care. I also gave them a bundle of freshly cut grass this morning and one of my boys, Ralph was nibbling at it. Didn't have an awful lot but it's a start 🤞

I am quite concerned about my other lad Fergus, he's the biggest pig I have and it doesn't look like they have lost weight since they came home. He's had around 10ml of critical care today but it's a battle with him to get him to take it. I will try again with them both in an hour or so.

They don't appear to have bloat but I could hear Fergus gut gurgling earlier this morning, he's the only one that has passed anything but it's quite stringy and dark. Will the critical care and probiotics help their digestive system? I have them on avipro plus, 1 scoop to 200ml of water.

They both sound to have a gut issue and lack of food intake over the last couple of days.

What were their weights before your holiday and what are their weights today?

The critical care is absolutely essential - without independently eating they will go into stasis so you must give them 60-90ml but an absolute minimum of 40ml (40ml is only minimum amount to keep a piggy who isn’t eating alive)

Probiotic can help but it’s not medication , its only a support rather than actually going to make a major issue better. To be honest I would probably be getting them both to the vet today particularly with the lethargy and lack of poop.

They're currently 1.1kg and 1.08kg good weights but not sure what they were before I went away. They have always been good chunky boys, Ralph seems a little perkier and both have now defecated, although it's misshapen.
I have some emeprid and they've both had 0.1ml dose and will have more about midnight tonight. Hopefully that will start moving things along and they'll feel much better for it. They've had more critical care and a few syringes of probiotics. I'm trying to dose them every couple of hours.
I'll be calling the pet boarding place tomorrow to see if I can get any answers to questions I have. If they haven't been eating like they should, I would have thought they would have picked this up 😔

They're currently 1.1kg and 1.08kg good weights but not sure what they were before I went away. They have always been good chunky boys, Ralph seems a little perkier and both have now defecated, although it's misshapen.
I have some emeprid and they've both had 0.1ml dose and will have more about midnight tonight. Hopefully that will start moving things along and they'll feel much better for it. They've had more critical care and a few syringes of probiotics. I'm trying to dose them every couple of hours.
I'll be calling the pet boarding place tomorrow to see if I can get any answers to questions I have. If they haven't been eating like they should, I would have thought they would have picked this up 😔

Make sure to weigh them tomorrow morning and compare with today.

Unless the boarding facility were weighing them daily there is no way they would notice a reduction in hay intake. Hay intake can’t be judged by eye hence the importance of regular weight checks

I hope they are ok

Make sure the emeprid is fully within its shelf life. Best to call a vet

When I cover an open cage (C&C) I use a fairly light fabric - sheet/fleece blanket, put it over the top and hang down the sides, hold in place with clothes pegs or bull dog clips.

I hope your boys get well soon, sending the healing vibes.

Thank you. They have eaten a little cucumber this evening which I'm relieved about. I'll still be feeding them throughout the night make sure they're keeping their nutrients up. I'm so hoping they get over this 🙏 thank you for your healing vibes 😊

Some better news today folks 👏 Ralph is no longer concerning me and is eating normally and active in his cage. Fergus was at the vet yesterday and am pleased to say that it's more than likely stress related and lack of appetite at the pig boarding, I'm just very shocked they didn't pick it up while they were there 😞 before it turned to gut stasis. Luckily, after a few nights lack of sleep due to feeds and persistence, he was tucking into a small juicy chunk of watermelon earlier, even after a good feed of critical care. The vet couldn't find anything else but just keeping a good close eye on him 😊 thank you for all your help and advice here everyone 🤞🤞 my boys are well and truly on the mend

Not good news for Fergus I'm afraid, he was back at the vets yesterday as I was still not happy with his lethargy and lack of appetite. It concerned also when I could hear a slight buzzing noise and was told it could be an URI. He's now on a higher dose of Baytril 0.2ml twice daily and rheumocam twice daily. My poor boy has lost his appetite for the critical care but I'm still ensuring he gets some down him and plenty of water and probiotics. Please keep everything crossed for my lad, it's been such a long week and I'm just hoping he makes it. It will take a couple of days for the antibiotics to kick in right?

I’m sorry to hear that.

If he is struggling to breathe then they can find it hard to eat. Give a little critical care at a time but you may need to give it more often.

We would also advise you give a probiotic - Fibreplex or pro-c. Antibiotics wipe out the good gut bacteria and can make them feel off. Probiotics can help restore the gut. Better still, give a poop soup made by soaking the poops of a healthy companion in water and than syringing the water to your poorly boy 1-3 times a day. This helps transfer gut microbiome. Poop soup can be given alongside a commercial probiotic.

It will take a few days for the meds to kick in

Probiotics & Live Gut Microbiome Transfer ('Poo Soup'); Recovery Formula Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links and Transfer Recipe

Thank you. He managed around 5ml in the night then about 8ml this morning. I've never heard of poop soup but will try that. How much probiotic syringes would you recommend? Thank you, I just hope he makes it 🙏

Thank you. He managed around 5ml in the night then about 8ml this morning. I've never heard of poop soup but will try that. How much probiotic syringes would you recommend? Thank you, I just hope he makes it 🙏

If depends which commercial probiotic you use. Fibreplex is in a pre-marked tube. You turn a dial and dispense a set amount. You can give it directly to piggy or dispense it into syringe feed to disguise it.
Pro-c is a powder which you put a pinch directly into some syringe feed.

Make sure you give a probiotic 1-2 hours either before or after a dose of antibiotic, never give it at the same time as a dose of antibiotic.

Ah ok I have some powdered form that I've been using. Recommend on a guinea pig website. Avipro plus. I use 1 scoop to 200ml of water then have been syringing it into his mouth. Thanks for the guidance about when to give it though, that's handy to know. I'm just making up some poop soup for him now 😋

Ah ok I have some powdered form that I've been using. Recommend on a guinea pig website. Avipro plus. I use 1 scoop to 200ml of water then have been syringing it into his mouth. Thanks for the guidance about when to give it though, that's handy to know. I'm just making up some poop soup for him now 😋

Yes that’s the same thing. I assume you’re only giving him a couple of ml.

Make sure the poops have literally just come out of the donor pig when you start to soak them, otherwise the beneficial bacteria will be dying off already

I wasn't sure sure how much to give him to be honest. But now I know thank you 😊

Will do, thank you again. I'll keep you posted on his progress...hopefully there is some 🙁🤞🤞

Another question sorry..do I used boiled water to soak the poops or will that kill the bacteria?

Such sad news today folks, I lost Fergus 😢 he was way too poorly to fight in the end. I know I did everything I possibly could to help my poor boy but it was too much for him. I am comforted by the fact his passing was quick and was in the comfort of his home with his brother Ralph at his side. Poor Ralph was licking him this morning even after he passed then sat at his feet..this was heartbreaking to watch 💔😭 but there's no more suffering for my little Fergus anymore. Thank you to all those who helped me in trying to get him well 🙏❤️

Attachments

• 20240215_171729.webp
    20240215_171729.webp
    79.5 KB · Views: 2
What a gorgeous boy he was. I’m sorry for your loss x

Back