Oats

mls18

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There's these homemade treats i want to make, it includes oats. I know underweight guinea pigs are allowed to have a bit to gain weight, but besides for that can guinea pigs eat it?

When you say home made treats with contain oats , what exactly have you seen? Ie what is the ‘recipe’ telling you to do or add to it?
Just give your piggy a spoonful of dry, plain porridge oats in a bowl to help him maintain his weight.
Please don’t cook them as piggies are not able to eat any cooked item.

When you say home made treats with contain oats , what exactly have you seen? Ie what is the ‘recipe’ telling you to do or add to it?
Just give your piggy a spoonful of dry, plain porridge oats in a bowl to help him maintain his weight.
Please don’t cook them as piggies are not able to eat any cooked item.
I saw a recipe online that says to mix together crushed up pellets, an apple, a carrot, and some oats.
I'm not trying to get my guinea pig to gain weight, i was asking if guinea pigs can have it if their not trying to gain weight.
Does baking count as cooking?

I would say that this counts as cooking the food, and will destroy any vit C in the pellets and carrot and apple- it will also break down some the fibre- making a sticky high calorie but low nutrient food not suitable for piggies.
A few dry oats sprinkled in the hay occasionally as a foraging activity and a healthy treat for underweight seniors is fine, also a tiny bit of fresh raw carrot or apple occasionally although very high calorie and sugary by piggy nutritional standards is ok- but cooking/baking foods is not really appropriate for the piggy digestive tract- for humans yes, we evolved to use fire and design ovens, that's why our digestive tract is short and our appendix no longer works as a caecum... but... piggies did not, they need and prefer raw fresh foods, although this treat recipe may appear tempting to a human its rather like giving your dog cake or chocolate- nice for us, but a health risk for the pet...

I would say that this counts as cooking the food, and will destroy any vit C in the pellets and carrot and apple- it will also break down some the fibre- making a sticky high calorie but low nutrient food not suitable for piggies.
A few dry oats sprinkled in the hay occasionally as a foraging activity and a healthy treat for underweight seniors is fine, also a tiny bit of fresh raw carrot or apple occasionally although very high calorie and sugary by piggy nutritional standards is ok- but cooking/baking foods is not really appropriate for the piggy digestive tract- for humans yes, we evolved to use fire and design ovens, that's why our digestive tract is short and our appendix no longer works as a caecum... but... piggies did not, they need and prefer raw fresh foods, although this treat recipe may appear tempting to a human its rather like giving your dog cake or chocolate- nice for us, but a health risk for the pet...
Oh wow, i had no idea, thank you! I knew about cooking but i thought baking was fine. Thank you so much!

Back