Oaten or Meadow?

Hadi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am yet to adopt my first piggies, i have noticed that is it difficult to come across timothy hay where i live, i can only find then in tiny bags that cost an arm and a leg.

If Timothy hay is not an option, what should i provide my piggies with, oaten or meadow ?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

I think oaten is an Australian hay we don't get in the UK. You would be okay with either but it is a good idea to feed a mix so they don't get used to one type and then you find for any reason you can't get that particular one. It may depend on what piggies you get and what they will eat any way.

A Comprehensive Hay Guide for Guinea Pigs (incl. providers in several countries)

Meadow hay is best for bedding, eg hay trays, as it is softer and long stranded. They will eat some of it too. Oat hay is a tasty eating hay but I'm not sure if it is best as their only eating hay. Can you get Orchard Hay?

Meadow hay is best for bedding, eg hay trays, as it is softer and long stranded. They will eat some of it too. Oat hay is a tasty eating hay but I'm not sure if it is best as their only eating hay. Can you get Orchard

There is a pet store near me that sells small bags of orchard hay, most of the stores around me sell oaten or meadow, also theres a farm nearby that sells bulk oaten hay.
Unfortunately timothy is hard to come buy and is sold at let stores for a ridiculous price.

Is it a good idea to use a mix of meadow and oaten maybe ?

Meadow hay is absolutely fine to use for bedding and eating. They don’t need any other type, but yes it’s fine to mix oat and meadow. As mentioned above, we don’t get oat in this country but the guide that was linked in above mentions that oat is not suitable as bedding

Mine have only ever had meadow hay and have thrived on it. Timmy died in November aged 7+ having only ever seen a vet for an eye poke in his time with me. Jenny is sitting in a pile of meadow hay right now, rapidly approaching 8 and apparently in rude health.

Lyn at Cavy Central spoke in one of her videos about hay, I just had a quick look and can't find it. I don't think oaten is the same as our oat. I'm sure they feed oaten at the rescue and it is their main recommendation. Are you rescuing your piggies from them? If you are, ask them what they recommend you feed. If you aren't rescuing from them you could still send them an email and ask, Lyn is very kind and helpful I'm sure she wouldn't mind. They will also be able to tell you the best place to buy it.

Mine have what is basically oat straw, but cut greener and with the heads included, so they call it oat grass. They are not mad keen, but then they really don't like anything except grass, which is really hard to replace!

Back