Number Of Pigs That Is Best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KittyandNancy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I know you should have two (females) and we do, but is three actually a better number? Like in case one of them dies. Then the other pig would still have a friend? We love them so much even though it's only been just under three weeks. I can't imagine three would be that much more to clean up after ect.

What are your opinions on the best number of pigs to have?
Thanks,
Angela, Summer, Kitty and Nancy aka Nanners lol.

Trios are generally the most tricky combination of guinea pigs to get right without ending up with some kind of outsider problem. With boars, we recommend to stick to pairs.

Unless you can stage a date/meet&greet (preferably at a good rescue under expert supervision), we recommend to either get a pair of bonded sows (generally younger ones to keep the existing hierarchy unless you want to add to youngsters) or consider a neutered boar; he has to get on with both sows in order to mate. The neutered boar scenario will only work if your two sows are getting on well, however, otherwise one of the girls is likely end up left out.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-sows-or-mixed-pairs-babies-or-adults.108944/

Hi, I agree two (pairs) are best, I took on 3 little brothers from the same litter instead of two piggies as we had planned because I could not leave one of them behind, I worried he would struggle to find a suitable friend :(
after being in with 5 sows. I'm now finding one of them is a bit little distant from his brothers, @Wiebke do you think they will settle down over time ( at around 10 weeks maybe they are just hormonal) or should I look at introducing another male piggy I would take them to pick there own buddy :) but to be honest I think that will cause more problems though or do you think if this continues I may end up having to remove Oreo to another cage and then pairing him up with a friend.
Sorry for adding this question in to nanners thread I hope you don't mind x

Hi, I agree two (pairs) are best, I took on 3 little brothers from the same litter instead of two piggies as we had planned because I could not leave one of them behind, I worried he would struggle to find a suitable friend :(
after being in with 5 sows. I'm now finding one of them is a bit little distant from his brothers, @Wiebke do you think they will settle down over time ( at around 10 weeks maybe they are just hormonal) or should I look at introducing another male piggy I would take them to pick there own buddy :) but to be honest I think that will cause more problems though or do you think if this continues I may end up having to remove Oreo to another cage and then pairing him up with a friend.
Sorry for adding this question in to nanners thread I hope you don't mind x

I would wait until you know for sure what is going on and THEN you can look for a new friend. If you think three boys are a problem, I can guarantee you that four is a surefire recipe for disaster. Adding a new boy into in that kind of situation can just provide the spark of fire to light everything up as you are guaranteed to get a lot of dominance behaviour.

Ps: You are always welcome to start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back