Now husboar looking forward to re-unite with his mother and sister; pre-bonding questions

GimmeGuinea

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Following my initial thread, which can be found here...

I have now reached a stage where bonding is finally going to happen soon.

First the boar had to be 6 months before neutering could be done, then I was told by the vet that he had to be at least 1kg, because otherwise there could be complications. At 6 months his weight was 934 grams. So, it took another month or so. The neutering went well. On bonding day, it will then be 7 weeks post operation so all should be safe.

The current situation is as follows:

The husboar is dominant. His mother is also dominant, who never expresses dominance towards him across the divider. Not in the play area, nor in their cage. His sister is submissive. Lately she is becoming more dominant towards the mother only. This is infrequent and the mother accepts it, and it looks as if they are playing. The husboar can only watch although he rumble-struts along and bites the bars letting them know that he wants to be part of it.

The ‘territorial border lie-in’ that I read about here; is something that the husboar does often, his sister sometimes and his mother never strangely enough. This I think is a good indication of a potentially successful bonding.

He regularly touches noses with his sister through the divider. He also does the same with his mother and I do not notice any aggression and the dominance only comes from him then. The mother even popcorns after doing so sometimes. The divider, I reduced to a single grid about a week ago in both their cage and play pen. This allows for better interaction and I am certain it is beneficial to them pre-bonding day.

The neutral ground where they will re-unite and do the bonding is the play pen in another room at the moment. They are used to go there sometimes for the past half year or so. There has always been a divider in there of course as well. They play area will be re-build in the room their cage is in shortly after bonding day. I believe it is a good thing that bonding does not take place in the same room as their cage is in and based on experience.

I read that generally I should put a larger/likely more dominant piggy or a group in the play pen first when introducing newbies. However in this case, there are no real newbies. I would say that the husboar will be the newbie in the mother/daughter group.

Therefore, I am intending to put his sister in first, then the mother and then add the husboar. They often go in, in that order anyway. Now, the sows will know something is up since the divider is gone and it looks different, bigger and emptier, and it is entirely clean. Another reason for doing it this way, is that the husboar is sometimes reluctant to come out of his cage. Once his mother and sister go before him, he is more eager to come along.

Now on to my questions;

They normally have three water bottles attached to the play pen, two for the sows and one for the husboar.

1. Should I attach cleaned bottles to the play area before the bonding begins or some time after, or should I start with having two clean water bowl in the play pen instead which does not remind them of their current cage?

2. ls it a good idea to start with two kinds of their regular hay and some fresh grass?

I bought two brand new hideys that only have one entry/exit. I will not use these initially in the cage after successful bonding. I will instead use two different size cardboard boxes, a square one with two exits, and one rectangular with three exits. The old hideys will be used in their play pen later on. In total there will be four hideys with multiple exits. I read that in case of bonding gone well in the play pen, I can move them to the cage together and leave them together. And that at that point I can add hideys back into the cage.

3. Is it therefore better to add the four hideys once they are all together after 10 minutes or so?

4. How many days do the two temporary 2+ exit hideys need to stay in before I can replace them with the two newly bought 1 exit hideys?

What if bonding fails in the play pen, and I place them in the newly setup and arranged cage, that is totally cleaned out as well as a 2nd attempt with all four hideys with multiple exits.

5. Could there still be a chance that they could get along there and then?

I do not expect this be necessary, but it would be my plan B for now. Plan C, I do not want to think about since that will be the same set up as they are used to. With the divider back in place.

Here are several reasons why a successful bonding benefits me as guinea pigs owner;

• Cage cleaning will go a lot easier and quicker
  • Less waste of hay. What the husboar now does not want to eat, the sows will have no problem eating. He is very picky when it comes to what hay bits he want to eat
  • Only two water bottles instead of three
  • No more bar biting after 8 months! Preventing teeth problems for the husboar and less stress and annoyance for me and potentially the sows as well. His teeth were checked on neutering day and all was fine then
  • Living with happier guinea pigs and experiencing more fun and interesting dynamics and interactions between them
  • Neutering was not done in vain

Hi

I am very sorry for your extra long wait; but you have to go along with whatever vet you can access.
In my personal experience, it doesn't matter so much who you put in first into the bonding area. What will help is a big pile of soft hay in the middle.

Have they been living alongside in their separate cages while your boy has been waiting (safe since a single boy has no other pig to fall out with and good to keep a bond alive/give them time to get to know each other through the bars)?

Please accept that there is no trick in the book that can force a match where there is character clash. You can only remove as many external detractions/stress factors as possible but whichever way you bond, it always comes down to whether the piggies in question want to be together or not. You cannot change her personality.
You have to take a deep breath and then let them get on with it...

If your piggies have been together before and have not parted in anger, then chances of an acceptance are actually not so bad if they recognise each other.

Our bonding guide will take you through the different stages of the bonding process step by step: Behaviour, Bonding and Bereavement

Thanks all for your feedback!

Have they been living alongside in their separate cages while your boy has been waiting (safe since a single boy has no other pig to fall out with and good to keep a bond alive/give them time to get to know each other through the bars)?

They have always been living next to each other since separation day in the same 2,1 x 6 C&C cage with a divider at around 2,5 cage grid for the boy. There has always been interaction through the bars. They know each other well, I am sure. I have never seen any fall outs between them. They do not know any better than living like this for the moment. They have always been fed at the same time and I have treated them as a herd.

If your piggies have been together before and have not parted in anger, then chances of an acceptance are actually not so bad if they recognise each other.

They have been together and brought up by their mother until separation day at around 2,5 weeks (for the boar), and after the vet visit for sexing of the babies. They did not wanted to part was my impression and the boar weened all night, not realising (I assumed only later) that his mother was still next to him. The following day I put his mother with him for a few minutes and he was really happy to see her. This also settled him down more and accepting the situation, and his new living environment.

If bonding goes well, another huge benefit for them is that they all get a lot more space to explore and live. For me it is also easier to prepare only one dinner dish instead of two.

I will provide an update shortly after bonding day.

Fingers🤞crossed indeed.

Good news! The bonding went very well today.

There was not any sign of aggression and only rumble strutting. Mainly from the boar, but also from the mother in the beginning. After about 20 minutes the mother turned submissive and laid still when the boar approached. The boar then quickly left her alone again. This tells me that the mother accepts that he is the leader of the herd.

They had their first dinner in there newly setup cage and that went very casual as if they have been doing this all along. I did notice some aggression from his sister towards her new husboar later on, telling him that she can't be messed around with that easily. He did not expect that I guess, yet he accepted it. They for sure need to get used to each other and their personalities now that they are all grown up.

I will give it week or so with the two simple cardboard boxes, and then transition over to the new 1 exit hideys. 1 on day 7 and the next one on day 9.

There was not any sign of aggression and only rumble strutting. Mainly from the boar, but also from the mother in the beginning. After about 20 minutes the mother turned submissive and laid still when the boar approached. The boar then quickly left her alone again. This tells me that the mother accepts that he is the leader of the herd.

They had their first dinner in there newly setup cage and that went very casual as if they have been doing this all along. I did notice some aggression from his sister towards her new husboar later on, telling him that she can't be messed around with that easily. He did not expect that I guess, yet he accepted it. They for sure need to get used to each other and their personalities now that they are all grown up.

I will give it week or so with the two simple cardboard boxes, and then transition over to the new 1 exit hideys. 1 on day 7 and the next one on day 9.

I'm glad to hear the bonding has gone well.
It will take them two weeks to fully sort out their relationship.

One major point though It’s not that you just don’t one exit hideys during the period of bonding, it’s that they are not a good idea to use at any point. Issues can still occur in a 1 exit hidey at any time they are together. It’s recommended to only use two exit hides forever

Last edited:

Hi

Glad that all has gone very smoothly.

In a cross gender bonding, I would always recommend to wait with single exit hideys until all sows have had their season; i.e. at least two weeks. None of the sows is currently close enough in their oestrus cycle for the male hormones to trigger it. First seasons after bonding tend to be strong; it is a way of cementing the bond. During that
time the group is also fully established in their territory.

We call it the dominance phase in which the hierarchy is fully worked out and confirmed but it should be more correctly called the group establishment phase. The bonding won't be fully over until everything has settled. Since you are rebonding a family, you are going to have a much milder ride but I would still not use single exit hideys too soon.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

I'm glad to hear the bonding has gone well.
It will take them two weeks to fully sort out their relationship.

One major point though It’s not that you just don’t one exit hideys during the period of bonding, it’s that they are not a good idea to use at any point. Issues can still occur in a 1 exit hidey at any time they are together. It’s recommended to only use two exit hides forever

Good to know!

In that case I will return the two newly bought 1 exit hideys and replace it with multiple exit hideys. I will clean the previously used 3 exits wooden rectangular hidey that was used by the sows, and swap it with the rectangular box which is very similar in size, and after about two weeks.

I bought one of those cosy standing sacks that is actually for Bunnies, meaning it is big enough for two piggies. Do you recommend to not use it at all or maybe in the play area after about 3 weeks is fine?

In a cross gender bonding, I would always recommend to wait with single exit hideys until all sows have had their season; i.e. at least two weeks. None of the sows is currently close enough in their oestrus cycle for the male hormones to trigger it. First seasons after bonding tend to be strong; it is a way of cementing the bond. During that

time the group is fully established in their territory.

We call it the dominance phase in which the hierarchy is fully worked out and confirmed but it should be more correctly called the group establishment phase. The bonding won't be fully over until everything has settled. Since you are rebonding a family, you are going to have a much milder ride but I would still not use single exit hideys too soon.

Thanks for this additional information.

As mentioned, I will use multiple exit hideys in their cage. I will experiment with single exit hideys in the play area at some point, and after the group establishment and hierarchy is fully worked out.

Good to know!

In that case I will return the two newly bought 1 exit hideys and replace it with multiple exit hideys. I will clean the previously used 3 exits wooden rectangular hidey that was used by the sows, and swap it with the rectangular box which is very similar in size, and after about two weeks.

I bought one of those cosy standing sacks that is actually for Bunnies, meaning it is big enough for two piggies. Do you recommend to not use it at all or maybe in the play area after about 3 weeks is fine?

Thanks for this additional information.

As mentioned, I will use multiple exit hideys in their cage. I will experiment with single exit hideys in the play area at some point, and after the group establishment and hierarchy is fully worked out.

Single exits are usually fine in settled groups, especially with all adults, but you want to use open hides until while all the inevitable hanky-panky is going on and also while chucking an underpiggy is part of normal dominance behaviour.

Back