• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Not using chew toys

• Thread starter Thread starter Racheylcg
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Racheylcg

My piggles have never really chewed their chew toys, I've given them everything from shop bought-chew toys to apple twigs, but they wont touch them
Of course they have root veg every few days, hay at all times and they occasionly nibble on their cage but I'm worried that this wont be enough to keep their teeth down.
Is their anything else I can do to ensure they wont overgrow?

my dont really use chew things but plenty of hay should be fine to keep them down :-\

Hay and veg is enough to keep them down....some piggies like chew toys, some dont, none of my girls do anything with willow balls except nudge them around ;D

Thanks sorry I'm a worrier I always worry about everything and my pigggies are the main thing :D

i wouldn't worry yourself too much. mine won't touch any chew toys unless they are from m pampered piggies! spoilt! they like the little apple twigs and willow balls, loofa toys alsorts! and also apple branches from my garden. as i said, i wouldn't worry too much, have you tried them with different types of hay? I know the coarser ones like oat hay are really good for keeping teeth trim. thats really all i can suggest. just make sure they have their hay and veggies, and hopefully they will be ok. i think the oat hay's worth a try, mine love it, and it keeps the teeth down.
the other thing you should do, is just keep an eye on their teeth, that way you can spot if they are overgrown. i check mine once a week. :) hope that helps a bit O0

Some like the extra play toys some dont ;D Theyll be happy on hay and gnaw sticks and lots of veg 0:)

Mine don't have anything like that either. They don't even chew their sticky shelter things (although bits of their hutches have been gnawed). I did once buy a house thing for them made of straw-like stuff. It cost about £10 I think. The next day they'd eaten half of it! I go to a good petshop though and they gave me something else for the same value. It was designed to be a house, not to be eaten.

Hay, hay and more hay is all they need. They play in it, sleep in it and eat shed loads of it. :)

mine dont like chew toys.. but love crunching their way through willow balls, but not willow sticks lol ::)

karenrgpr said:
Hay, hay and more hay is all they need. They play in it, sleep in it and eat shed loads of it. :)
When I have my dream home by the sea, you know the one, views of the ocean, big paddock, heated guinea barn ::) I'm going to grow fields and fields of grass to dry as hay. I would save a fortune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back