Not Sure If Piggy Sisters Like Each Other...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsclark24

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have 2 girl piggys, sisters. When they were younger they seemed to play a little together, I would come downstairs first thing in the morning to them running and jumping in the cage.

Now I never see them play. All I ever see and hear is them sleeping separately, that low grumbling at each other and bum shaking at each other. A few times they have nipped one another.

I built them a lovely pig sleeping shelter but they won't go in at the same time. One will sleep outside and the other will be lording it up in the big sleeping area!

Do they not like each other or something? What can I do?

They will be 1 in November.

Hi everyone!

I have 2 girl piggys, sisters. When they were younger they seemed to play a little together, I would come downstairs first thing in the morning to them running and jumping in the cage.

Now I never see them play. All I ever see and hear is them sleeping separately, that low grumbling at each other and bum shaking at each other. A few times they have nipped one another.

I built them a lovely pig sleeping shelter but they won't go in at the same time. One will sleep outside and the other will be lording it up in the big sleeping area!

Do they not like each other or something? What can I do?

They will be 1 in November.

Hi! It is sadly a widespread misconception that guinea pigs are cuddly, snuggly and popcorny- they aren't! Your girls are perfectly normal piggies with adult behaviour. ;)

The majority of guinea pigs don't snuggle up together, and even those that do, won't do so all the time. Please provide a second hidey for your undergirl, whether it is next to the other one or at the other end.
I usually provide three hideys (including a tunnel etc) for any pair, so they can be as close or as far apart as they want, and have a choice at any time. One hidey is generally larger to allow them to sit together if they choose. By far not all pairs like to use that option, not even in loving and very closely knitted groups.

Your sisters are firmly bonded and the behaviour is perfectly normal for their age. It is all well in the mild range of expected dominance and perfectly par for the course.

Sow Behaviour
Illustrated Bonding Behaviours And Dynamics

Phew, thank you! Glad to know that it's normal. Yes I've had to add other hides, I didnt want one of my girls just slumming it on the sawdust! :)

Much relieved, thank you!

Just to echo what @Wiebke has said - this is normal sow behaviour. None of my bonded pairs of sows has ever shared a cosy or a hidey. And the behaviour you are describing is exactly what I see in my ladies.

Ahhhh my Kimi and Murray used to snuggle when I first had them at 6 weeks old but now they like their own space, don't worry it's normal :D xx

Sounds very normal. Our two - also sisters - have never cuddled up together. They always have a hidey each!

Mine are very hit and miss. They can snuggle up but mostly one is in a hidey and the other is outside somewhere or in another one. They mostly snuggle when something has spooked them (like the Hoover)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back