Not sure how to ask the question - disabled guinea pig mum

SpiritoftheForest

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been wanting to ask this for a while, but am struggling on how to word it, so I hope this makes sense.

I am a wheelchair (manual) user, I look after my small dog and hamster on my own, so have no worries about being able to do the daily care for guinea pigs. However, mainly with my dog more than the hamster, I did come across 'issues' that physically abled people wouldn't have, that I needed to find a solution to, so I thought I'd ask on here, especially if there are other wheelchair users, but of course if anyone could maybe give me any tips, especially with the cage set up etc so I can try to 'iron out' any potential issues before they arise. (Obviously everyone is different, I might struggle with something someone else wouldn't and visa versa, but thought it might help).

I'm planning on having the set up on a low table, so everything is a comfortable height for me to interact with them and to make the cleaning etc as easy for me as possible.

I am a little worried about handling.

Thanks everyone.

I don't use a wheelchair but do have mobility issues. One of the joys of a C&C cage system is that you can use grids to get it to the correct height if necessary. I would advise looking at cage creations or kavee for some door grids to make it easier for cage access too.
For the handling, it's difficult because a lot depends on the individual piggy. One of my has always been very calm about being picked up. The other one makes you chase him (we've tried herding him into something but he doesn't cooperate) but immediately settles, snuggles and licks us. Others probably have better advice.

I don't use a wheelchair but do have mobility issues. One of the joys of a C&C cage system is that you can use grids to get it to the correct height if necessary. I would advise looking at cage creations or kavee for some door grids to make it easier for cage access too.
For the handling, it's difficult because a lot depends on the individual piggy. One of my has always been very calm about being picked up. The other one makes you chase him (we've tried herding him into something but he doesn't cooperate) but immediately settles, snuggles and licks us. Others probably have better advice.
Thank you,
I wasn't aware of the door grids, so that's very useful to know.

I have mobility issues and have back pain although I don't use a wheelchair often. My cage is 2.5 grids deep and I struggle to reach the back of the cage to clean it or catch a piggy. It's on the floor and i get into the cage if I need to reach the back. I suggest that you don't have a cage deeper than 2 grids and check whether you can reach the back of this. I now have help doing the deep clean once a week which makes it much easier and I use a gardening stool when interacting with the piggies and cleaning. Using bath mats which I can shake to clean the worst of the mess regularly and having a cordless vacuum with a long reach helps with cleaning.

Several members have trained even reluctant piggies to hop into a cuddle sack when needed. That has got to be preferable to the broom I use to herd mine to an accessible corner of their run in the garden but it's very effective and doesn't bother them. Mine have not been easy to train!

I have mobility issues and have back pain although I don't use a wheelchair often. My cage is 2.5 grids deep and I struggle to reach the back of the cage to clean it or catch a piggy. It's on the floor and i get into the cage if I need to reach the back. I suggest that you don't have a cage deeper than 2 grids and check whether you can reach the back of this. I now have help doing the deep clean once a week which makes it much easier and I use a gardening stool when interacting with the piggies and cleaning. Using bath mats which I can shake to clean the worst of the mess regularly and having a cordless vacuum with a long reach helps with cleaning.

Several members have trained even reluctant piggies to hop into a cuddle sack when needed. That has got to be preferable to the broom I use to herd mine to an accessible corner of their run in the garden but it's very effective and doesn't bother them. Mine have not been easy to train!
Thank you.

Back