Not Really A Newbie, But....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cookie16

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm not really a new owner, I've had 8 guinea pigs over the last 10 years. But I feel like a newbie since getting our latest baby Alfie! Things have moved on a lot, I feel like when a Grandparent says to the new parent 'we didn't do it like that when you were a baby'!

We've always had girls before, we've still got Rosie and Lola (3yrs). Alfie will be neutered and I came on here looking for info and have found lots of ideas about all sorts of guinea pig care!

Are boys more active than girls?

I couldn't understand why such big cages are necessary, our girls have always been quite sedentary! They are quite happy just pottering round. Classic example tonight, I put them in a box full of hay, with low sides and an opening so they can get out, while I tidied their cage. Alfie was first in, he lasted 30 seconds and he was off, round the kitchen and down the hall! I put Rosie and Lola in, but got distracted and an hour later they were still sat there! Our guinea pigs have always had the opportunity to explore, but were never bothered.

One other question, I've just changed to vetbed, which I'm loving! Now we don't have wood shavings all over the house! But do you change the newspaper (or whatever) everyday, or just when you wash the vetbed?

I think the level of activity depends on the pig. I have 2 boys. Hazelnut is lazy as. Peanut Butter tears around like your Alfie.

I started of with loose bedding, went onto fleece & finally vetbed which I've stayed with for 2 years now. I love it as do the boys. For Hazelnut it's a must as he only walks where there is fabric. I use towelling under my vetbed, poop scoop off the vetbed at least once every day & just wash the lot once a week. I've never used newspapers so don't know how soon it gets saturated with wee. I reckon you might just check underneath the vetbed when you're poop scooping to see how it's going. It might last the week or you might have to replace the odd sheet, depends on where the piggies pee the most.

I have used newspaper under washable beddings and changed it daily, it does work just fine :-) the smaller your cage the more often you need to change, I bring this up purely on your mention of not understanding the need for big cages so if yours is tiny you will need to change a heck of a lot more often :-) the minimum the rspca state is 4x2ft around here most people use a 2x4 c&c which is around 5x2ft

I use a few layers of newspaper underneath the vetbed. I change the newspaper from the corners of the cages (where they mostly wee) twice a day, and wash the vetbed twice a week.

I'm not really a new owner, I've had 8 guinea pigs over the last 10 years. But I feel like a newbie since getting our latest baby Alfie! Things have moved on a lot, I feel like when a Grandparent says to the new parent 'we didn't do it like that when you were a baby'!

We've always had girls before, we've still got Rosie and Lola (3yrs). Alfie will be neutered and I came on here looking for info and have found lots of ideas about all sorts of guinea pig care!

Are boys more active than girls?

I couldn't understand why such big cages are necessary, our girls have always been quite sedentary! They are quite happy just pottering round. Classic example tonight, I put them in a box full of hay, with low sides and an opening so they can get out, while I tidied their cage. Alfie was first in, he lasted 30 seconds and he was off, round the kitchen and down the hall! I put Rosie and Lola in, but got distracted and an hour later they were still sat there! Our guinea pigs have always had the opportunity to explore, but were never bothered.

One other question, I've just changed to vetbed, which I'm loving! Now we don't have wood shavings all over the house! But do you change the newspaper (or whatever) everyday, or just when you wash the vetbed?

Maybe Alfie went running round because he is a young baby and wanted to explore

Well I thought that too, but none of our other babies have been as active! Although he might settle down when he's older!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back