• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Not eating

JasmineA99

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My boar Charlie has not eaten today. He only had 2 bites of a piece of romaine lettuce. He has a vet appointment tomorrow morning but he is declining quickly… I have tried to syringe feed him but he will not chew or swallow the food and I am worried about choking him. There are also no stores near me that carry the oxbow critical care, so I had to use pellets and water. He has become really wobbly and is barely able to walk… After setting him back down he wasn’t able to get his legs back underneath him without help and struggled to get to his favorite hidey place. There are no emergency vets in my area. The closest is about a 3.5 hour drive and I am unsure on if they even see small animals. I am at a complete loss… I don’t know if he’ll make it through the night. He appears to be bloated but I cannot see any impacted poop in his butt. I am worried to massage his tummy because I don’t want to hurt him. What do I do?

I’m so sorry to hear this. Sending hugs

Bloat is a serious issue (impacted poop is a different issue - it’s caused when the anal muscles lose strength due to age usually. It’s not to do with bloat) which causes pain. Severe bloat is an emergency situation.

Please do get him to a vet as soon as you can.

The home care advice is to switch to daily weight checks and step in with syringe feeding but if they refuse to swallow, sadly that can mean the system is shutting down.

Back