• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Not Eating! Help Please!

Lil3piggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Worried piggie mummy here!
When I got home from work I checked on the pigs as usual, partner had checked on them before he left for work a few hours before I got home and gave them their second lot of greens.
When I checked on them Archie was sat in a corner and when I went to pick him up he didn’t run away like he usually would, so I gave him a cuddle and I noticed he made a strange noise, offered him his food and he didn’t want it. So I went and got some different veg, he didn’t pay any attention to that either. He just sat on my knee and didn’t move. He’s never done this before?
So I put him on the floor to see if he ran off like usual but he just sat there. So I checked on here at the health guides and played a video of how to syringe feed just in case and I forgot my volume was on quite loud so it scared them. Well he ran off but not as quick as usual and seemed like he struggled up the ramp.

I’m really worried about him! So I want to get everything I need together just in case! I know I need to get a syringe but what am I best syringe feeding him? Mashed up pellets or is there something else that would be better?

I’m really hoping he’s okay and I’m just overreacting but I’d rather have stuff ready just in case. Ahhhh :(

Hello everyone! Worried piggie mummy here!
When I got home from work I checked on the pigs as usual, partner had checked on them before he left for work a few hours before I got home and gave them their second lot of greens.
When I checked on them Archie was sat in a corner and when I went to pick him up he didn’t run away like he usually would, so I gave him a cuddle and I noticed he made a strange noise, offered him his food and he didn’t want it. So I went and got some different veg, he didn’t pay any attention to that wither. He just sat on my knee and didn’t move. He’s never done this before?
So I put him on the floor to see if he ran off like usual but he just sat there. So I checked on here at the health guides and payed a video of how to syringe feed just in case and I forgot my volume was on wuife loud so it scared them. Well he ran off but not as quick as usual and seemed like he struggled up the ramp.

I’m really worried about him! So I want to get everything I need together just in case! I know I need to get a syringe but what am I best syringe feeding him? Mashed up pellets or is there something else that would be better?

I’m really hoping he’s okay and I’m just overreacting but I’d rather have stuff ready just in case. Ahhhh :(
I’d definitely recommend a vet visit if he isn’t his usual self and start weighing him daily at the same time to monitor his food intake x

I’d definitely recommend a vet visit if he isn’t his usual self and start weighing him daily at the same time to monitor his food intake x
Yeah I’m off to buy some scales tomorrow and I will get him a vets appointment ASAP, fingers crossed it’s nothing to worry about xx

Agree with Gem, a sudden change in behaviour and a lack of interest in food can be serious and you need to find out the reason behind it. Feeding mushed up pellets is ideal in the meantime but I would be getting him straight to the vets when they open in the morning

Sending healing vibes to Archie & hopefully the vet can help him tomorrow x

Offer some mushed up pellets and water and switch from weighing weekly at the same time to weighing daily at the same time (like always before their breakfast or dinner).

The difference between a fully and an empty tummy and bladder can make about 30-40g of difference in weight and the weight fluctuates throughout the day accordingly. You need only worry if our little boy has lost more than 50g in just a day or three. Be aware that 80% or more of the daily food intake should be hay, which you cannot control other than by weighing; any change in the hay intake is usually what is really making the difference in the weight. That is where the scales come in.

Here is our illustrated step-by-step syringe feeding guide for beginners if you need it: Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

I hope that it is just something that has spooked your boy, but if he is not back to his usual self and tucking in at breakfast, then please see a vet.

Back