• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Not eating Coriander

Don Guinea

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey guys,

But of a weird one, the girls (Cinnamon & Cookie just turned 1) seem fine, playful, drinking, strutting, pooping and peeing

BUT, they’ve suddenly developed a dislike of coriander

Their diet I would say is 85% hay, changed daily & topped up handful once a day,

Their usual dinner is the following

• coriander (around two hand fuls of the leaf not the stem they won’t eat that)
• 4 cucumber slices
• 2 half inch pepper slices each
• Half a romaine lettuce leaf each

Sometimes I’d throw in a sliced cherry tomato on an odd day,

Just suddenly they won’t, both of them, not touch the coriander, bit strange, even if they are “starving”

Its been going for a few weeks and I’ve been weighing them and they seem okay

Is it normal for them to suddenly dislike something, quite annoying as I don’t know what other leafy veg I can give safely daily

Anyone had this before ?

Piggies, just like humans, can go off food suddenly. My piggies would sometimes want pepper today but won't after 2 days. So what I do is change the type of pepper, like if tonight it's red, after 2 or 3 days, it will be yellow or orange. In the past, my piggies loved coriander, but after that first week they had it, they got bored of it an just really prefer parsley instead. Just give them different types of veggies every now and then and you would see which they will eat constantly and occasionally. My piggies have cucumber as their staple food because they don't drink water from the bottle.

Piggies, just like humans, can go off food suddenly. My piggies would sometimes want pepper today but won't after 2 days. So what I do is change the type of pepper, like if tonight it's red, after 2 or 3 days, it will be yellow or orange. In the past, my piggies loved coriander, but after that first week they had it, they got bored of it a just really prefer parsley instead. Just give them different types of veggies every now and then and you would see which they will eat constantly and occasionally. My piggies have cucumber as their staple food because they don't drink water from the bottle.
Okay, I guess I’ll need to just switch it up for now until they change their mind again

Thank you !

Mine will go off random food sometimes. I have one refusing cucumber at the moment, they often go off pepper. I think it can be because it's a slightly different plant, most of our food is imported and comes from different countries at different times of year. What to us looks and smells the same can be different to them with their finer sense of taste and smell.

My boys suddenly refused coriander a few months ago. I offered it every so often, now they eat it again.
At the moment Master Boris won't eat any colour pepper 🙄
Do anyone else's pigs eat the skin off the cucumber first?

My boys suddenly refused coriander a few months ago. I offered it every so often, now they eat it again.
I have to peel the cucumber because they leave the skin! Whitney (when she was alive) was so used cutting the end of the cucumber with skin that she did it even when the cucumber was already peeled! 😂 She used to leave all the skin in the food bowl and it will be full of skin (cucumber and melon)! Oh how I miss her and her antics. ❤️ Now all the cucumber and melons are peeled and cut in thin strips so Bryce can pick up and eat them easily since he has dental problems and only one bottom incisor. Any food that can be cut thinner I do it just for him! :own:

Guinea pigs have roughly double the number of taste buds compared to humans. They may have had some that may have just started go off nd decided that they do not like it anymore.

Feed a little parsley once a week instead but brace for smellier poos.

Some of mine do and if the centre is a bit soft they leave it.

Piggies, just like humans, can go off food suddenly. My piggies would sometimes want pepper today but won't after 2 days. So what I do is change the type of pepper, like if tonight it's red, after 2 or 3 days, it will be yellow or orange. In the past, my piggies loved coriander, but after that first week they had it, they got bored of it an just really prefer parsley instead. Just give them different types of veggies every now and then and you would see which they will eat constantly and occasionally. My piggies have cucumber as their staple food because they don't drink water from the bottle.

My piggies have cucumber as their staple food because they don't drink water from the bottle.

That’s a relief… I have 2 sows . One drinks regularly from her bottle and needs a top up every day when I change the whole bottle anyway. I change both bottles but one always full.

The other one won’t touch the bottle . The vet said try a nipple .. no chance. I tried a water bowl. No chance. I got an expensive rabbit water tray that automatically refills . No interest at all. The good news is she has never been dehydrated and wee is normal (usually on my lap ). Both love cucumber but have gone off coriander completely. I guess it is quite a strong tasting veg ? So I eat it instead now because I love it ,,

I give the non bottle girl more veg sometimes because I always worry about water intake.

Big relief actually. Anyone else with a non water bottle pig ?.

Back