• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Not eating after dental

Rivendellelf

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi

I have a girl who wasn’t eating. So I took her to a vet (good exotic vet) who said her incisors were at an angle which suggested something was going on further back. She then had an X-ray and some dental filling on her back teeth and a spur under GA. This was Monday.

As of today, she’s still not eating herself 😢. She’s tried, and she can’t seem to get a hold of it, then gives up. We have tried all of her favourites and grated, mushed food. She does nibble at mushed up pellets or critical care occasionally.

So I’m syringe feeding her critical care, alongside her meds which she is doing really well with. So much easier than my previous piggie with this! 🤣🙈

We will be back at the vets on Monday but I’m really hoping she will start eating herself soon. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• 381D61A6-2B71-4285-8972-E57E09041CB2.webp
    381D61A6-2B71-4285-8972-E57E09041CB2.webp
    98 KB · Views: 4
Also, do you have a camera and maybe you can see at night if she's eating or not? (or do you already have one)

Piggies can lose their confidence or still be in some discomfort after dental surgery. You say meds, I assume she is still on painkillers?
Sometimes they can be tempted with fresh grass and it helps them regain their confidence (and also works on the teeth like hay does). Perhaps try her with some and see if that encourages her.

Do ensure you weigh her daily to know she is getting enough food to maintain her weight

Piggies can lose their confidence or still be in some discomfort after dental surgery. You say meds, I assume she is still on painkillers?
Sometimes they can be tempted with fresh grass and it helps them regain their confidence (and also works on the teeth like hay does). Perhaps try her with some and see if that encourages her.

Do ensure you weigh her daily to know she is getting enough food to maintain her weight
I have tried all her favourites including grass and still no luck 😢. Even parsley wasn’t enough and she normally goes mad for that. She’s losing a bit of weight but not too much so I’m happy with that xx

I have tried all her favourites including grass and still no luck 😢. Even parsley wasn’t enough and she normally goes mad for that. She’s losing a bit of weight but not too much so I’m happy with that xx
She’s on two types of painkiller, antibiotics and gut meds x

She’s on two types of painkiller, antibiotics and gut meds x

So it really shouldn't be a pain issue then.
It sounds as if you are doing all you can at the moment - all you can really do is get a much syringe feed into her as necessary (keep some in a bowl in the cage as well) to stop any weight loss and speak to the vet again.

So it really shouldn't be a pain issue then.
It sounds as if you are doing all you can at the moment - all you can really do is get a much syringe feed into her as necessary (keep some in a bowl in the cage as well) to stop any weight loss and speak to the vet again.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I hope she pulls through this xx

Back