• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Nose Troubles [Picture Attached]

basicpiggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all!

One of my guinea pigs has what appears to be signs of nose discharge, but it looks to be more brown than green or yellow. I also found a little bit on her bottom lip which was weird. I attached a picture because I have never dealt with nose discharge or any related issues before even when it came to URIs so I was wondering if anyone has had a guinea pig with brown discharge before and what it ended up being. Is URI the only valid excuse for this?

Also, I’m already contacting vets because I’m paranoid, but it would help to get some insight here as this is new to me.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• CC207B31-C14D-44E3-B50E-AC16BD76B735.webp
    CC207B31-C14D-44E3-B50E-AC16BD76B735.webp
    29.7 KB · Views: 30
Also - I find it weird how much discoloration is on the fur ABOVE her nose. It could be from wiping her nose if that’s what she did, but I’m wondering if this looks anything like a fungal infection to any of you?

Hello. It looks like a dirty nose to me. Maybe when she is reaching under to take the poops she can eat it’s rubbing on the floor. How long have you had her? Are her poops a bit softer than usual? I’d just keep an eye on her.

Hello. It looks like a dirty nose to me. Maybe when she is reaching under to take the poops she can eat it’s rubbing on the floor. How long have you had her? Are her poops a bit softer than usual? I’d just keep an eye on her.
Hi! Thanks for the reply. I was thinking it looked like dirt or poop too, but she’s usually a pretty clean guinea pig. I’ve had her since 2017 and this is the first time there’s ever been something off with her. She’s still her normal alert (and hungry) self. Also, her poops seem normal to me.

Hi all!

One of my guinea pigs has what appears to be signs of nose discharge, but it looks to be more brown than green or yellow. I also found a little bit on her bottom lip which was weird. I attached a picture because I have never dealt with nose discharge or any related issues before even when it came to URIs so I was wondering if anyone has had a guinea pig with brown discharge before and what it ended up being. Is URI the only valid excuse for this?

Also, I’m already contacting vets because I’m paranoid, but it would help to get some insight here as this is new to me.

Thanks in advance!
Here’s another picture where you can see where there was also some brown substance on the middle of her lip. I’d expect URI crusts to be green or yellow which is why I find these weird.

Attachments

• AF7FBC7F-6DF3-47C7-A39A-BB45C6BAEA9D.webp
    AF7FBC7F-6DF3-47C7-A39A-BB45C6BAEA9D.webp
    30.1 KB · Views: 15
All I can suggest is if you’re worried and her behaviour has changed (ie not cleaning herself properly) get her seen by a vet. Is her weight stable?

All I can suggest is if you’re worried and her behaviour has changed (ie not cleaning herself properly) get her seen by a vet. Is her weight stable?
Yeah, her weight is fine. She’s definitely still acting like herself and I watched her groom twice. Definitely still gonna get her to the vet just in case!

Glad to hear she is doing well! Sometimes the best option is to have a licensed professional take a gander to rule anything nefarious out of the equation!

Back