• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Nose problems

Bean_piggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, unfortunately one of my guinea pigs has this problem with her nose, she has this bald spot on her nose with two big scabs she probably must've scratched herself with her sharp nails making herself bleed and causing the scabs, it's probably a rash or something more, unfortunately my mother won't allow me to take her to the vets because she doesn't see them as important as the dogs because of their small size, is there any antibiotics or anything I can do to help her? I don't want her to die she means very much to me

Hello, unfortunately one of my guinea pigs has this problem with her nose, she has this bald spot on her nose with two big scabs she probably must've scratched herself with her sharp nails making herself bleed and causing the scabs, it's probably a rash or something more, unfortunately my mother won't allow me to take her to the vets because she doesn't see them as important as the dogs because of their small size, is there any antibiotics or anything I can do to help her? I don't want her to die she means very much to me

Hi and welcome!

Please have your guinea pig vet checked for potential ringworm. This is a fungal skin infection, which can easily transmit to dogs and humans. It is the one truly species jumping health issues between guinea pigs and humans, apart from kennel cough (bordetella) being fatal for guinea pigs; this also includes the 3 days after a bordetellosis vaccination.
If seen promptly within the time limit (for the USA that is 1 month), you can reclaim any vet cost from the pet shop you have bought your piggies from.

In your case, it it could turn out to be rather false economy. Please accept that we cannot diagnose sight unseen and replace a hands-on vet visit; we can only guess.

Healthy guinea pigs have an average life expectancy of 5-7 years, so that is quite a respectable life time! They do not feel pain any less than dogs or humans.

Here is our information on customer rights in newly bought pets and the most common health problem they can come with and also our very detailed and practical ringworm guide to ensure that the ringworm is not going any further and that you get rid of it once and for all. What we CANNOT tell you of course is whether your piggy has got it.
Click on these links and show them your mother:
New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights
Ringworm: Hygiene, Care And Pictures
Dogs, Kennel Cough And Guinea Pigs - An Important Consideration.

Your piggy does need to see a vet for diagnosis and to be prescribed the correct treatment
You cannot give any medication to your piggy without seeing a vet - you do not know what the correct medication is or dosage to give. Giving the wrong thing could either not cure the condition at all or could be harmful to your piggy.

Back