• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Nose injury unknown cause

Lshepherd

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey all,

So my little baby Teddy that I just adopted had this little tuff of fur on his nose and with further investigation it was hard and I was trying to look at it and he was moving around and it fell off… the pictures are after it fell off then the zoomed in screenshot of a video I took before it fell off. He doesn’t seem itchy right there. After he did some zoomies and popcorned so I’m hoping he will be okay. I don’t think it’s ringworm but that’s my worst fear…IMG_0794.webpIMG_0798.webpIMG_0799.webp

Here’s a little better picture of before. I think I’m just being paranoid since he is acting fine and is eating fine. Now I’m going to start weighing him to make sure he is gaining weight still. He is very young not sure how old but still before the teenager years but was waiting to bond with his cage mates until we can deep clean it on my day off. Probably going to keep them separate for a while to make sure he’s okay. IMG_0800.webp

As you say it is hard, It could well just be boar glue - dried semen.
It’s called glue as it sticks fast and if pulled off can injure the skin underneath. Boar glue can be either cut out of the hair if possible. If not then best left alone.
It will be as a hard clump on the hair.
Boar glue is nothing to worry about, simply hazard of having boys!
Otherwise if you are worried; then please see the vet

Regarding the bonding - I know you have a bonded pair of boars. Therefore Our advice to you is that you do not attempt to bond this baby with your original pair.

Boars can only be kept in pairs and adding a third boar to a bonded pair is usually a recipe for disaster - either immediately or down the line when the teens hit. Most boar trios don’t make it to adulthood together and they end with fights and broken bonds. They find it hard to form a hierarchy when there is more than two boars.

If you do still wish to attempt to bond the three of them:
- ensure you carry out the bonding properly in neutral territory. Do not ever add a new piggy directly into the cage of an existing piggy. That will cause an immediate fight.
- ensure your cage measures 300x100cm (118x39 inches) or around a 9x3 c&c cage. A cage of that size ensures one square metre of territory per piggy. any cage smaller than that simply isn’t big enough to attempt a boar trio and will result in space related problems and ultimately fall outs. A large space won’t make it work but it will mean they have enough space to get away from each other.
- ensure you have a separation and separate living plan. At best, two of the boars will remain together and you will have one single (it may be one if the original pigs ends up having to live with the baby). At worst all three can fight (the bond between your original two pigs also being broken by an attempt to add in a third), all three fighting and all needing to be kept single ie three separate cages permanently.
- ensure you do not use any hides which have only one door. All hides (including even for pairs) must always have two ways out so that one piggy cannot block the door and trap the other inside (that is how fights can get started when one feels cornered)

You have some options and that is:
- to leave baby living alone (which isn’t ideal). He will need to be in a separate cage permanently and that cage needs to be beside the other two for interaction between the bars only. The three can never mix.
- Or to get a fourth piggy and bond the new baby with a new fourth piggy. And keep them as a pair
- or sadly return the baby if you cannot have the space for two separate cages permanently

A pair of boars need a cage of 180x60cm (70x24 inches).
A single piggy needs a cage a minimum of 120x60cm (48x24 inches)

Back