Normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KittyandNancy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We just adopted two pigs. They are 3-4 mo old. Kitty I think is the boss. I have two beds in their cage and she won't let Nancy sleep in either of them it seems. Their cage is a little over 7sq feet so a little small. I have grids coming so I can make a bigger one for them. I just feel bad that Nancy doesn't get to sleep in a bed?!?

There is a tunnel like thing as well over by where she lays but she doesn't go in it either, maybe she just likes sleeping out in the open? We do handle them quite a lot and they're getting pretty tame with us. But it just makes me nervous that she sleeps in the open.

Thanks for responding to me.

mine do that too sometimes. turtle will sleep outside on the bedding and wicca will sleep all snuggled inside. if its an inside cage and the temperature around them is good i think theres not a problem. so long as they still go into the hides when scared.

Thanks everyone. I feel like maybe Kitty is bullying her a little, but there hasn't been any fighting. Maybe things will be better when I expand their 7ft cage. Yes they're indoors in a very active part of the house. So I don't think it's a temp thing. She does hide if she's scared, so I guess that's good.

Also they both do not like carrots lol. Cilantro, kitty eats all of it, but nancy only eats the stems lol. I trimes Kitty's nails today and I'm going to do Nancy also.

Thanks for all the help! :)

Okay I moved one hidey to the other end and put the water and food in the middle. They mostly pee in their hay ( how often do you give them fresh hay? I add to it a couple times a day. Do you dump the whole thing everyday? I feel like I waste a lot of hay. I ordered a hay sac but it hasn't come yet. But I like that I know where they go wee at?

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    105.8 KB · Views: 12
Guys, sorry to be off-topic, but I go a bit envious when I see all your nice cages and can't help wondering how do you clean them? I have to replace sawdust every couple of days, otherwise the cage would smell awfully, and I just can't imagine having cloth and various materials on the bottom of the cage... do your piggies know to pee only at certain location or what? :) :)

@DaLanik
Us fleece users spot clean a few times a day ( sweep up the poo etc). Also fleece wicks so the urine draws through onto an absorbent layer underneath (eg towels or puppy pads) . Us fleece users also vary in changing fleece amounts...some every 2-3 days...some last a bit longer.. I personally change my fleece every couple of days. It may sound like hard work...but i find much easier than any other bedding. Also with a heart guinea pig ...fleece or vetbed are the only suitable bedding. Hope this helped :-)

I have never used anything else. But it's great. I have puppy pads on the very bottom, then a layer or two of towels and then a layer of fleece. The puppy pads are never wet. I change the whole thing about once a week and sweep or vacuum (hand vac) up the poo once or twice a day. The do most of their business in the litter under the hay bag. I have never had any smell. I change the litter every two to three days and add to it every day just the top. I use carefresh paper litter/bedding. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back