normal sow behaviour?

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
so i would just like to ask a little bit about behaviour i’m noticing in my two girls. there is a clear boss between them, that being Luna. shes the bigger one out of the two and if she wants a hide, she gets it lol. Della is a very squeaky girl, wether she thinks food is coming, running around her hutch, being picked up, out for cuddles or in the indoor run. if Luna goes near her she starts squeaking and i have recently noticed that if luna goes by her bum, especially when dellas eating, della will back it up to her and squirt wee. Luna over the last few days has also started rumble strutting. the only time i have ever seen them squabbling is when i have them in the carrier ( i have now bought a bigger one because they where outgrowing that one, may have been why they squabbled?) but i wouldn’t say it was an actual fight. does this sound like normal behaviour for 2 sows (sisters), 10 weeks old on friday, i will have had them for 2 weeks friday too.

so i would just like to ask a little bit about behaviour i’m noticing in my two girls. there is a clear boss between them, that being Luna. shes the bigger one out of the two and if she wants a hide, she gets it lol. Della is a very squeaky girl, wether she thinks food is coming, running around her hutch, being picked up, out for cuddles or in the indoor run. if Luna goes near her she starts squeaking and i have recently noticed that if luna goes by her bum, especially when dellas eating, della will back it up to her and squirt wee. Luna over the last few days has also started rumble strutting. the only time i have ever seen them squabbling is when i have them in the carrier ( i have now bought a bigger one because they where outgrowing that one, may have been why they squabbled?) but i wouldn’t say it was an actual fight. does this sound like normal behaviour for 2 sows (sisters), 10 weeks old on friday, i will have had them for 2 weeks friday too.

Hi
Yes, that is normal behaviour. Rumble-strutting in sows is mild dominance behaviour. You can see it during the two weeks of bonding and establishing a group but then it can make an appearance again in the time around a stronger season.

Please take the time to read our sow guide. You will find that your sows' behaviour is suddenly making a lot more sense: Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

Hi
Yes, that is normal behaviour. Rumble-strutting in sows is mild dominance behaviour. You can see it during the two weeks of bonding and establishing a group but then it can make an appearance again in the time around a stronger season.

Please take the time to read our sow guide. You will find that your sows' behaviour is suddenly making a lot more sense: Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

i did read it but thought i only saw this in bonding new piggies! my mistake, is this the period they are establishing the boss out of the new ‘heard’ because they have been moved to new surroundings, usually lasting 2 weeks?

i did read it but thought i only saw this in bonding new piggies! my mistake, is this the period they are establishing the boss out of the new ‘heard’ because they have been moved to new surroundings, usually lasting 2 weeks?

It is likely a combination of both since sows have a season around every two weeks; it often means a flare up of dominance in relatively new bonds.

Back