Noodle mats

ThatPurpleB

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Anyone here just use noodle mats to line their piggie cage? Like just the mats, nothing else.

I currently use towel with fleece on top. Then a noodle mat under the hay rack where it gets muckiest.

This works great and was at 1st an easy solution. However Nova worked out she could go under the fleece and started spending her day between the towel and fleece! So now I have to tuck the fleece edge under the towel and clip it in place which isnt easy especially in the gap/corner where their cage is. Plus our washing machine sometimes decides it no longer likes this combo either.

So I'm debating my options. I have a quite a few noodle mats so I can line the cage 100% with these. Failing that I'm going to buy 2 cage liners on etsy but I'm still recovering from COVID so really dont have the energy to pick a seller, size and pattern. Hence why I hope the mats will work.

Thanks for your help. I know Nova and Luna really benefit from so much on this forum.

From my experience using noodle mats vs fleece liners they get smelly and damp much quicker so they are likely to need changing out more regularly, I currently get 5 days out of my fleece liners. I think @Bradshaw Piggies uses just noodle mats so she will be able to give her advice 😊

I use noodle mats with plenty of towels beneath.
Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to bedding, but noodle mats are my favourite.

I would struggle to get the fleece liners as my cages are really big. I find my piggies super clean on the noodle mats, but I do think it’s because they also have so much space, so not many wet areas at all. They have their favourite areas to pee, so I swap that mat out twice a week, but the others I can just usually shake off.
The towels beneath are always dry.

My boys also all have fleece blankets, cut up to fit inside their hideys and favourite places to nap. Though giant hay piles are usually their favourite place to nap. I remove wet hay daily, not so much the bedding that I use.

My boys never show any interest in going underneath the mats.

washing wise, I use one of our equine, zip up wash bags for any mats. To protect the washing machine mostly. I don’t use fabric softener, just a bit of non-bio washing powder.

Yeah. Nova has never gone under the noodle mats, but goes under any loose fleece as soon as it is found!

I have laundry bags that I use for my fleece so planned to use that for the mats anyway. Defo does save the washing machine.

I live near an asda and not too far from IKEA and I pass a wilkos on my way home from work so I have plenty of places to find mats. And I dont mind doing laundry, its putting the fleece and towels down in a Nova proof way that I struggle with, then unfolding and unclipping it all to take the mucky away can be a pain.

It was so easy when I 1st got them to just throw a fleece on some towels, we call her naughty Nova for a reason!

Yeah. Nova has never gone under the noodle mats, but goes under any loose fleece as soon as it is found!

I have laundry bags that I use for my fleece so planned to use that for the mats anyway. Defo does save the washing machine.

I live near an asda and not too far from IKEA and I pass a wilkos on my way home from work so I have plenty of places to find mats. And I dont mind doing laundry, its putting the fleece and towels down in a Nova proof way that I struggle with, then unfolding and unclipping it all to take the mucky away can be a pain.

It was so easy when I 1st got them to just throw a fleece on some towels, we call her naughty Nova for a reason!
These piggies do like to keep us slaves busy! 😂💕

I use ikea bath mats..I think they are similar.. change them once a week and I line the c&c with newspaper and where the mats are a disposable puppy pad..

I use noodle bath mats with puppy pads underneath. The piggies don’t burrow underneath them and I find that I can get 3 - 4 days out of them before needing to change them.

Yeah same as IKEA bath mats.

Well just cleaned out the piggies and put down the noodle mats so we'll see how long they last! Will probably eventually buy some cage liners when I feel awake enough to make a decision on which to buy. There's so many on etsy now!

I try to make burrows for my piggies with folded over cage liners, a tunnel at the entrance and a soft blanket or vet bed inside. I'm happy when they burrow under something because then I know they're cosy. Maybe more burrowing options would help stop Nova going between the towel and fleece?

We've tried things like loose fleece and they bicker over it. With anything like hides they need 2 identical of most of them or they bicker.

Back