Noob questions regarding C&C cages

• Thread starter Thread starter proplus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

proplus

Hi, first post but have been lurking awhile reading up on tips and advice, and looking at the lovely photos of your piggies. :)

If I can convince my missus, I'd like to convert a corner of a room to house my 2 piggies. ATM, they're in a Nero 3 placed onto off a small coffee table. I've read recommendations on these 'C&C' cages and would like to know where I can get them, would prefer in a real shop rather than online as I understand they come in kits, so I can build it to my liking, so I'd like to physically see what they're like in my hands first.

Next question is I've heard the word correx being banded around, is this the plastic to go on the bottom of the C&C cage? If so, I guess I'll need to get one custom made to fit whatever shape and size of C&C cage I build, right?

One more question (and probably not the last) is who are the grid parts of the C&C kits attached to the plastic bottom?

Oh, one more thing, if placed on the floor (like a few photos I've seen), don't I have to worry about draughts?

www.guineapigcages.com/forum - look in the UK section of the forum for advice on where to get the supplies.

The grids were originally designed to be used as shelving, the correx (that forms the base) is used in the sign industry. It's the same stuff for sale signs are made of. There is only one person who sells the cages ready made and she is based in the USA. She will ship to the UK but it is VERY expensive due to the size and weight - you are better off building one yourself.

www.screwfixdirect.com and www.robertmay.co.uk both sell the grids. For the correx check a local sign maker or do a search on ebay for correx. You buy the sheets of correx to cut down to size yourself - see www.guineapigcages.com for info on building them.

I have had my piggers in one of these for 3 years now and have no problems with draughts. However, you can raise the cage off the floor using either extra grids or by sitting it on a long table if you are concerned. My piggers have never been happier!

Can't really add anything to the great info you've been given already but I got the majority of my grids from Screwfix :)

C&C cages are really the best though, they can be any size and provide soo much room, and they're not that expensive either, especially ocmpared to a store bought cage which is tiny ;)

Just to add, I don't recommend using the connectors on their own...some people do and have no problems but I just use cable ties to attach them :) Some people use the connectors and cable ties so it's really just up to you :D

Oh and if you can't get hold of correx then lino is fine to use too ;) Bit more fiddly but it works! O0

Where abouts r u proplus I might have some correx luking in my neighbours garage (as not got room in the house)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)
I posted a thread in this section about the correx, the cheapest by far I have found is in Travis Perkins..you probably have heard of them, they have branches nationwide. Ask for cordex, thats their name for it. It comes in 8 foot by 4 foot sheets and only comes in black. I have some and it is easy to fold, score and cut :)
The actual grids sit on the floor (or table) and you make the correx up like a box (instructions on www.cavycages.com) and that sits inside the grid frame you make up first. Dont forget to allow for the fact that the grids stick out a little when measuring ;)

Should have said..its under £5 per sheet and I used black gaffa type tape to stick the corners together :)

lavenderjade said:
Should have said..its under £5 per sheet and I used black gaffa type tape to stick the corners together :)

Wow.....thats cheap!

I was thinking, to save hassle with the correx, could I use the base of my Nero 3 and build up with the grids more levels?

proplus said:
I was thinking, to save hassle with the correx, could I use the base of my Nero 3 and build up with the grids more levels?

I suppose you could use the base of your Nero 3 but what would you use for the floors of the upper levels? :)

The good thing about using grids is that you can adapt the cage to fit into corners or alcoves. My OH bent 2 of the grids to fit round where the wall comes out in a L shape in the corner. They are not easy to bend, but can be done...he used 2 pairs of molegrips and bent it round :) Upper floors are easy to do using grids as well ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back