• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Noisty breathing brought on by stress?

• Thread starter Thread starter hils78
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hils78

Good morning, yesterday I tried to bond Emily & Sue with the new piggie Sunshine. I've done everything by the book they've even been in a ajoining cage for about a week seperated by a grid. I gave them a bath etc etc.......anyway to cut a long story short the bonding was far from sucessfull resulting in the divider being put back in. I was worried about Sue last night because the 'bonding' process really stressed her out as she had a few minor rumbles with Sunshine. This resulted in her hiding herself in a corner. Getting up this morning her breathing is really noisy - the symptoms in my books look like bronchitis. Can stress cause this? I did notice that she had lost a bit of weight yesterday so only actually top & tailed Sue. Sue is very prone to weight fliuctuation etc. As it stands I am not holding out much hope for her because she's about 7 yrs old. Shall I treat her for a breathing type issue such as sudafed or is it def a vet? I really hope my few birthday pennies don't have to go on a PTS today >:( poor Sue. I did wonder how long she would last without Margalo......

I would be greatful for any suggestions/ideas.

Cheers Hx

I've booked her in at the vets for 10am. Will let you know. I really don't hold out much hope though :(

sorry to hear about your sick guinea will be thinking about you and your piggie, please let know what happens :'(

I am not experienced enough to advise but please lets us know what the vet says...poor Sue, hope it is nothing serious :-\

Aww I hope she is okay :(

Good Luck :smitten: Let us know how she goes :)

Well I'm back & so is Sue! I've spent all but £2 of my birthday money (only had £20 but she's worth it!). This new vet is fab ;) He said that her left lung is inflamed/infected and it is that one that is making the noise. He had 2 possible diagnosis which are - Pneumonia or heart failure. But because her lung is so noisey he can't hear the heart properly. So I said if she were yours what would you do? he said that he would give her the benefit of doubt & treat her for pneumonia because its only the last 24 hours that she's gone down hill. He said that because of the stress she's been through though, that heart failure is prob the most likely - but as shes shown no signs so far he's given her till Friday to perk up. So she's had a steroid injection, a Baytril injection a course of Baytril too - all for only £18. I am so glad I found this vet. Now I'm going to spend my last £2 at the veg shop on some parsley & cucumber - Sues favourite.

ahhh bless, your gonna spend all your money on your little Sue, your so sweet, I hope she pulls through O0

O hill be careful i lost one of my guest guineas at Christmas with this problem, she died, keep her warm and keep her quiet, did the vet tell you to keep her on her own till she is better? my vet said to do that, Hers was brought on by stress, so now when her sister stays with us she has her own cage with no interference,

I hope she gets better soon Hun

Awww Sue that's no good sweetie :'( :'( hope the meds start to work quickly for you :)
We'll have our paws crossed that you get better quickly, your mummy is being lovely getting you your fav foods :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Good luck Hils with her O0

poor Sue hope she improves quickly you did say about her when margalo died but dont give up she might well surprise you, the vet sounds wonderful and well done you spending your birthday money on her a true pig lover no one can ever doubt your love for them now can they? I too would spend my last penny on them did she enjoy her treat , just keep her warm, mine still have their heaters on and off during the night as I'm not risking them getting cold ,

Sorry to hear about Sue. Fingers crossed and I hope she makes a full recovery. Keep us informed. At least you have got a good vet. O0

Well she's still hanging in there! I've given her some Critical Care with some baby food mixed in. She seemed to get the hang of syringe feeding which was a relief. She will drink from her bottle if I put it to her mouth :smitten: When I put her back in the cage Emily was licking off the CC from her face so i gave her a spoon full through the bars which she loved 8)

Piggybaker - what was the piggie you had diagnosed with, was it pneumonia? or pneumonia type symptoms....?
Michellemuffin♥ said:
just keep her warm, mine still have their heaters on and off during the night as I'm not risking them getting cold ,
Is pneumonia just caused by cold? she has been in the house for just over a week in preparation for bonding with Sunshine. Its just odd.

In my heart of hearts I think that it is a slow heart failure, and in a way I know that she won't pull through. But again we'll keep fighting for her. I'm giving her till Fri anyway. I won't keep her struggling after that because she has never been a needy pig.

Hunny if you need any more critical care ring me. I can bring it over no problem for Sue aww fingers crossed for you :)

She is still hanging on in but is no better poss worse. I had to have a little wobble at people last night who came over. They insisted on putting music on which is fine when its low & in a different room (you can choose from my stereo which speakers it comes out of). So I had a battle with my 2 'step daughters' who are 21 (twins) my sister & her boyfriend & my daughters dad, & another person turned up but couldn't believe what they were like so left pretty quick.
Sue is in the dining room which is where we mostly spend time if people are around. I kept on turning the music to be on in the kitchen. When my back was turned they put it on in the dining room. They were getting more & more drunk & loud. Also they could see I was getting 'prickly' & started taking the p155. I ended up preparing the critical care & making a big deal of getting all the gubbins out on the table - syringes for the CC, baytril, etc etc a bowl of water for fluids for her & another for cleaning her up. I got a mini hot water bottle to sit her on & warmed the towel on the radiator ready to hold her in. Then I pulled the plug on the stereo & said 'right its my birthday & my animal, if you have enough heart please watch what this animal has to go through' :tickedoff: I do think that they were slightly embarassed because when they actually heard Sues breathing they realised that she 'was actually ill'. They all left soon after that!

It just goes to show what little respect people have for the suffering of animal. The amount of times I get 'its only a guinea pig' or something to that effect its unreal. And these are my family/extended family who do have more of a clue than the average jo bloggs about what its all about because they've had me banging on about it for ages. Anyway thats that off my chest now - thanks for being there to listen again peeps. I am going to have to take a deep breath & call the vet again to get her PTS as I think that she's getting worse & its not fair on her suffering anymore.

Out of this eye opener last night i have gained 2 new piggies. 'one' of the people there has been trying to get me to take on her 2 pigs for a while now. I refused because she is in my opinion just palming them off because she can't be bothered. The comments that came out of her (because of the drink I know but I heard them) were so out of order that I actually think that they are at risk where they are. grrrrrrrrr

So sorry to hear this. By the sounds of it she hasn't got much fight left. :'( Congratulations on the two new guineas. :) It's only a guinea pig. :tickedoff:

I know - they know not to say stuff like that at the best of times, but becasue they had a bit of dutch courage then they thought it would be funny. Luckily I don't upset easily - I just get angry. Some of them are already aware about what I feel about last night becasue I made a point of calling them! oh how revenge is sweet when someone else has a hangover 8)

I'm sorry to hear Sue is no better love and that your birthday was a washout somewhat.... (((HUGS))) you know where you find me if you need anything!

xx

hils78 said:
I know - they know not to say stuff like that at the best of times, but becasue they had a bit of dutch courage then they thought it would be funny. Luckily I don't upset easily - I just get angry. Some of them are already aware about what I feel about last night becasue I made a point of calling them! oh how revenge is sweet when someone else has a hangover 8)

;D Good on you, I would have done the same or even better wait until they are quite ill and just say it's only you. That sounds quite heartless but some people deserve it. :)

hils78 said:
Out of this eye opener last night i have gained 2 new piggies. 'one' of the people there has been trying to get me to take on her 2 pigs for a while now. I refused because she is in my opinion just palming them off because she can't be bothered. The comments that came out of her (because of the drink I know but I heard them) were so out of order that I actually think that they are at risk where they are. grrrrrrrrr

I know who you mean,and thats sad :(
Its a shame everyone spoiled you night last night,Id have thrown the lot out

I'm off to the vets tomm with Bubbles,shes had crappy breathing ever since she had that URI ages ago and the baytril isnt helping that much :(

Oh I am so sorry to hear this hils. I am sure it was the right decision and she was getting on a litte. R.I.P. Sue. :'(

Re: Noisy breathing brought on by stress?

Ok I've been reading up & in a few place I've read that old age & or stress can bring on pneumonia. With a lower immune bla bla caused by stress or just by being old or both, it is very easy for this to happen. Just noted for anyone doing a search in the future. Taken mainly from the Piglopedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back