• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Noise, help?!

Critchie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!
This is my first post, I am a professional Guinea pig pet sitter, every year I have over a hundred piggies in my care. I am pretty knowledgeable about all things Guinea pig!
However this noise has somewhat stumped me. I do suspect he could be in pain. This pig is currently in Boarding and continues to make these noises throughout the day - It appears he’s having some difficulty pooping? (although poop is well formed) I suspect arthritis if it is pain, he is a senior boy, age 5.
Eating, drinking and other behaviours are all normal. He’s a happy, friendly little guy.

Anyone heard this noise before? Video attached. He does it 2x in the video, happens right at the beginning and end of the video, you see him lift his butt each time at the same time. - note: not the background piggy squeaking 😝

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’ve never heard this noise before either but I think he’s in pain too. Can you get him to a vet?

Good luck I hope it’s something easily treatable.

Hello!
This is my first post, I am a professional Guinea pig pet sitter, every year I have over a hundred piggies in my care. I am pretty knowledgeable about all things Guinea pig!
However this noise has somewhat stumped me. I do suspect he could be in pain. This pig is currently in Boarding and continues to make these noises throughout the day - It appears he’s having some difficulty pooping? (although poop is well formed) I suspect arthritis if it is pain, he is a senior boy, age 5.
Eating, drinking and other behaviours are all normal. He’s a happy, friendly little guy.

Anyone heard this noise before? Video attached. He does it 2x in the video, happens right at the beginning and end of the video, you see him lift his butt each time at the same time. - note: not the background piggy squeaking 😝

Hi and welcome

You are right, he is very much in major, acute pain. :(

It could be sitting in the reproductive (something in the penis shaft?) or the urinary tract (stone on the move; the sound is not typical for an infection) or even a hernia; less likely lower spine/pelvic arthritis in my experience since that causes mainly a dull ache but the strain from trying to poop could perhaps impact on an affected pelvis.

Have you checked his bits in case the source of the pain is located in there? Many boar owners don't necessarily look after their boys there: Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

I am very sorry. It is any boarders and owners nightmare. :(

you can rule out a lot of things making it easier to spot. For example shes not making odd breathing noises so its not a URI. her eyes arent milky/pink bulge (pea eye/conjuctivitis) so its not eye related, If shes walking its not her feet, If shes eating then its not her teeth going bad. etc......The only time my guinea pigs ever made a wierd sound (when in pain) and lifted thier backside up was due to UTI. peeing red is one sign of uti though i dont think that has to happen. clearly its related to her back area (could be organ related inside) since she raises her back everytime she makes the noise.

Poor piggy. He is in pain. I hope you can take him to a vet. I have an elderly boar 6.5 years old. He has arthritis in his spine and hips and occasionally makes that sound and movement when pooping. He has been xrayed and the arthritis was the only thing found. He is on 2x daily Metacam for the arthritis, I have a little leeway on the dose and Gabapentin to add in if needs be.

you can rule out a lot of things making it easier to spot. For example shes not making odd breathing noises so its not a URI. her eyes arent milky/pink bulge (pea eye/conjuctivitis) so its not eye related, If shes walking its not her feet, If shes eating then its not her teeth going bad. etc......The only time my guinea pigs ever made a wierd sound (when in pain) and lifted thier backside up was due to UTI. peeing red is one sign of uti though i dont think that has to happen. clearly its related to her back area (could be organ related inside) since she raises her back everytime she makes the noise.
I don’t ‘see’ any signs of UTI or smells, his penis & anal areas are all clean and normal looking on the outside.
No blood in pee.
He was apparently sick a few weeks ago, vets then. My understanding is he ate some cardboard and had a blockage.. so you’re right maybe something to do with organs! Thanks for the reply

Poor piggy. He is in pain. I hope you can take him to a vet. I have an elderly boar 6.5 years old. He has arthritis in his spine and hips and occasionally makes that sound and movement when pooping. He has been xrayed and the arthritis was the only thing found. He is on 2x daily Metacam for the arthritis, I have a little leeway on the dose and Gabapentin to add in if needs be.
Thank you for your reply, yes that’s what I was thinking, arthritis, I will arrange vet visit as soon as possible. I have been applying Mary’s pet CBD cream to his ears to help in the meantime.

Hi and welcome

You are right, he is very much in major, acute pain. :(

It could be sitting in the reproductive (something in the penis shaft?) or the urinary tract (stone on the move; the sound is not typical for an infection) or even a hernia; less likely lower spine/pelvic arthritis in my experience since that causes mainly a dull ache but the strain from trying to poop could perhaps impact on an affected pelvis.

Have you checked his bits in case the source of the pain is located in there? Many boar owners don't necessarily look after their boys there: Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

I am very sorry. It is any boarders and owners nightmare. :(
Hi thank you for your reply!
Yes I have checked his penis.. all clean not dirty or anything lodged inside ( I retracted it fully out ), no anal sack impaction, and he pooped while I was looking and well formed poop came out😝I will have another look this morning.
My thoughts are arthritis too especially at his age. I will contact the owner again, I’ve already showed her this video too.
Thanks again!

Hi thank you for your reply!
Yes I have checked his penis.. all clean not dirty or anything lodged inside ( I retracted it fully out ), no anal sack impaction, and he pooped while I was looking and well formed poop came out😝I will have another look this morning.
My thoughts are arthritis too especially at his age. I will contact the owner again, I’ve already showed her this video too.
Thanks again!

All the best for getting to the bottom of it.

Please switch to weighing first thing in the morning for best day to da comparison and step in with any feeding top-up support if there is a pain related weight loss over 50g. With the poos well formed and no sign of a urinary tract infection (that is an entirely different squeak because it is a different sort of stinging pain), an outside source of pain may be more likely but a further blockage issue would have to be vet checked as well.

Ah good idea, will do. Thank you :)
All the best for getting to the bottom of it.

Please switch to weighing first thing in the morning for best day to da comparison and step in with any feeding top-up support if there is a pain related weight loss over 50g. With the poos well formed and no sign of a urinary tract infection (that is an entirely different squeak because it is a different sort of stinging pain), an outside source of pain may be more likely but a further blockage issue would have to be vet checked as well.

Back