• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Noise from guinea pig - sneeze or puff of air?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukheather

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My guinea pig is occasionally making a noise which sounds like a puff of air from his nose. I am not sure if this is a behavioural thing, or a sneeze.

It just sounds like a quick puff of air from his nose.

I am asking if it is a sneeze or a behavioural thing as he had dominance issues with the other guinea pig and rumblestruts a lot, but at the moment, they are both sat in their beds and he is occasionally making this noise.

Anyone know what it is?

Probably sneezing. They do occaisionally make a big sigh, but not usually at frequent intervals. I'm not sure whether you need to take him to the vet just for sneezing - personally I might just keep an eye on him for a while. However, if you can hear any wheezing when be breaths, then he definitely needs to go. (Put him against your ear to listen).

Normal pig sound, don't worry about it.
I daresay there will now be a lengthy post about the significance of nose noises!

Last edited:
My long hair frequently sneezes - I think her fur tickles her nose!
She's as healthy as anything and a happy little piggie

My piggies sneeze sometimes when I put the hay in with them. But my piggies do expell air from the mouths/noses when they are annoyed. Apparently piggies do that to tell another piggie off.

When I got piggies I knew they would make noises, but I had no idea how many different ones they would do! Mine all have individual sounds too that no other pig makes. Bo, my neutered boar often coughs after veggie time. (it sounds HILLARIOUS, like a very little elf coughing) At first I was worried, but then I read on this forum that it's normal for greedy pigs who eats too fast :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back