Noise? Can Anyone Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vickster75

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I am considering getting 2 guinea pigs for my young sons as a first pet. I know they are supposed to be good pets and better than rabbits etc but I'm just concerned they may be too noisy? We've had chickens before and I think I'm only concerned because of them as one of them was so noisy and used to wake us up at 5am in the summer. What is the level of noise from guinea pigs if we keep them outside?

If you keep them outside it's unlikely you'll hear them make any noise from the house (unless they're EXTREMELY loud!).
I have mine outside and they only really squeak if they see me coming with their veggies or with their pellets in the morning.:D

Exactly why I asked, I have 6 in my bedroom, they are noisy but not as in LOUD noise and the only time they really make a noise is what @Flutterby said, when they want something, which is normally when your doing their food lol. We do have one that will shout for a bit of attention from time to time but that's during the day and if you go to him and give him a stroke or cuddle, he's fine )

Hmm, I do remember one lot of neighbours asking if the shrieking was my cat. I don't think they believed me when I said it was because the guinea pigs could hear the rustle of the carrier bag I'd picked the grass in! They only do it for grass though and I can fool them by picking it in a bucket!

Thanks. I think because we had chickens and had to rehouse as the noise was so bad at unsociable hours I just want to be sure of not making the same mistake again.. ..they will be outside in hutch and run but just wanted to make sure they don't make a racket in the middle of the night or early morning to disturb everyone.....

Thanks....are yours outside or inside hence why you can hear them at that time? I really don't want to get 2 for my boys and then realise they are just as noisey as chickens.....

mine wheek when they know food is coming but if yours will be outside you probably won't hear them... but i love their little noises and prefer them inside which they are now.. chickens are very loud in comparison !

I don't think they'll bother you and your family much. We have ours in the cage next door, all I can hear is bottle sucking.

Yes I am with you @Chief Guinea Pig. All my 8 guinea pigs and 3 rabbits are in the house and generally all I hear is bottle sucking and the
odd shuffle if bed positions are being changed.

Mine all wheek when they hear any bag movement or veges being chopped. Some are louder than others but I love the noise they make especially when they are calling "hey Mum don't forget about us" lol.

Yes I am with you @Chief Guinea Pig. All my 8 guinea pigs and 3 rabbits are in the house and generally all I hear is bottle sucking and the
odd shuffle if bed positions are being changed.

Mine all wheek when they hear any bag movement or veges being chopped. Some are louder than others but I love the noise they make especially when they are calling "hey Mum don't forget about us" lol.
I don't think anyone can take my word for it however. Our burger alarm went off once in the night and I didn't even know, and we also had an earthquake and I was as peaceful as a log :xd:

I don't think anyone can take my word for it however. Our burger alarm went off once in the night and I didn't even know, and we also had an earthquake and I was as peaceful as a log :xd:

That is hilarious but goes to show what a good piggie Mummy you are. As Mothers we know when are piggies are safe and happy and the
rest of the major incidents in life can just pass us by :lol!:

Thanks everyone....I think we'll be fine by the sounds of it. I would really like to get 2 as I think they will be ideal pets for my boys rather than rabbits.....chickens were great for the eggs but the noise and having to get someone over at 6am to let them out when we were away wasn't much fun....

Thanks. I think because we had chickens and had to rehouse as the noise was so bad at unsociable hours I just want to be sure of not making the same mistake again.. ..they will be outside in hutch and run but just wanted to make sure they don't make a racket in the middle of the night or early morning to disturb everyone.....

Please make sure that any hutch is well protected from wind, weather, heat/direct sun and damp/cold/drafts. We recommend that if possible, to bring guinea pigs indoors under cover over the winter months. They will need extra insulation.

You may want to consider getting adult guinea pigs instead of babies, as they are much calmer and not as vocal as youngsters, and are usually quiet during the night hours, just browsing hay whenever they wake up at night. They will greet you with a breakfast chorus, but only when they have good reason to assume that goodies are on their way or that it is their regular feeding time coming up.

I have two dozen indoor piggies and although I am a very bad sleeper, it is not my guinea pigs that are keeping me awake or waking me up!

Please make sure that any hutch is well protected from wind, weather, heat/direct sun and damp/cold/drafts. We recommend that if possible, to bring guinea pigs indoors under cover over the winter months. They will need extra insulation.

You may want to consider getting adult guinea pigs instead of babies, as they are much calmer and not as vocal as youngsters, and are usually quiet during the night hours, just browsing hay whenever they wake up at night. They will greet you with a breakfast chorus, but only when they have good reason to assume that goodies are on their way or that it is their regular feeding time coming up.

I have two dozen indoor piggies and although I am a very bad sleeper, it is not my guinea pigs that are keeping me awake or waking me up!

Of you can get to a rescue, please do, as they can find a laid-back, quiet and stably bonded pair that is used to handling for you. You can also be guaranteed that the piggies are healthy if you use one of our recommended rescues. ;)

Of you can get to a rescue, please do, as they can find a laid-back, quiet and stably bonded pair that is used to handling for you. You can also be guaranteed that the piggies are healthy if you use one of our recommended rescues. ;)
How do I get a list of your recommended rescues?

How do I get a list of your recommended rescues?

We have got a UK list of good standard rescues on the top bar that we can guarantee for good practice, care and experience on the top bar, together with a piggy savvy UK vets locator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back