No Weight Gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garden

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all Just weighed by pigs again, last week they were 340g and the other is 270g. This morning one as gone from 340g to 370g the other is the same weight as last friday. I will weigh again friday after tea but should I be concerned that one does not seem to be gaining weight yet? We have only had them just over a week. They are both male, I have seen no fighting and both seen to be eating well

Hi all Just weighed by pigs again, last week they were 340g and the other is 270g. This morning one as gone from 340g to 370g the other is the same weight as last friday. I will weigh again friday after tea but should I be concerned that one does not seem to be gaining weight yet? We have only had them just over a week. They are both male, I have seen no fighting and both seen to be eating well

I would try to feed them separately, and make sure that the little one is getting his fair share. I would also give the pellets in small portions in separate bowls 2-3 times a day, so they are eaten immediately, and are not there for the larger boy to hog. The bulk of the diet should be unlimited hay; make sure that access cannot be blocked or that there is a second feeding station.

Your two boys are rather low in weight, but as long as there is not actual loss, I would not panic. It can take a bit of time in new piggies and you will have the odd week without weight gain, especially later on when the quick weight gain is slowing down/stopping.

Thank you for your reply. They never finished the pellets. I have tried different types and the mussii type too. They always have hay I fill it up twice a day. They love grass but I am a bit worried how much I should give. At the moment I give about a large hand full once a day plus fruit and veg

If they love grass and are used to having it I see no problem giving them a bit more (I'm assuming it's grass from outside rather than dried grass?). The problems come when they haven't had any and then get a whole load of it as it upsets the bacteria in their tummies. Grass is a good pick-me-up and it's good for their teeth. How old are they? They might like some dried grass such as readigrass or even alfalfa hay if they are young. If you've only had them a week and they are young they might just be taking a while to settle down.

still no weight gain, although very lively and eating a lot. small pig wilbur is the more confident one. There does not
seem much difference in size but ozzy the grey one has a bigger belly

museem 1st little play.webp

Still no weight gain from Wilbur who is still 270. He is very active and always eating. Confident now and comes out to see you. Ozzy gone from 340g to 460g. I have two hay racks. A bag of hay. Two feeding bowls. Seen no sign of ozzy not letting Wilbur feed. Wilbur seems very well running gang jumping about. Not sure what to do now

weigh in today wilbur now 395 and ozzy 590

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back