No water but extra food?

Nerdy_Stormy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I recently lost my oldest pig and he would drink from the bottle like normal but now I have 4 year old and new baby.

Normally, I would fill the water bottle every few days but it's been like a week and it's barely been touched and they keep asking (sqeeking alot more) for extra food.

I know this sounds silly but I'm just guessing my 4 year old is teaching the younger one bad habbits and I'm worried they are not getting enough water.

Is there way to get them to drink from the bottle again or should I not worry about it?

Attachments

• PXL_20230131_133135533.webp
    PXL_20230131_133135533.webp
    66.8 KB · Views: 2
Are you seeing lots of wee patches in the cage? If so they are getting enough fluid from their veggies. 😁

Hi and welcome

It may depend on how much veg you are feeding; if they get enough fluid from that, then they won't have the need to drink from a bottle. Please keep in mind that hay should make over three quarters of what guinea pigs eat in a day while 1 tablespoon of pellets and preferably green veg only replace the supplementary role that wild forage used to have in the grass fibre based diet that guinea pigs have evolved on.

Please change the water daily to avoid contamination from biofilm/bacteria/algae; it is invisible but present long before the water goes green. Not all piggies drink but they will if they are really thirsty, like in hot weather or very dry air so fresh water should always be available.

More information and practical tips around all aspects, including drinking problems: All About Drinking And Bottles

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Back