No Hay Left

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarnivalPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Not sure if this would go in the food or health and illness sections, but the food section can be quite slow sometimes and this is mildly urgent.

There's no hay left except small bits and my mum won't go out this time of night to Tesco or somewhere, and I don't know if pellets and small bits of hay will do it until around nine am tomorrow when I can get the hay. This hasn't happened before, but I overestimated how much hay I had left. Will three piggies be ok until then? Thanks!

It can be a real tough when you've ran out of food or something. At winter, I've taken to stock piling dry food and hay because of the bad weather and living in the 'sticks', and if we can't get out which has happened before and the nearest place is mile and miles away. It was a good honest question though.

I've had this happen before; go to feed the piggies and realise you're out of food! As long as they have something (e.g., pellets, fresh food) they'll be fine until the morning. I usually give a double helping in two portions the next day (so first thing when I get the food, then top it up again a couple of hour later). =)

i already have extra hay supplies in the garage, just incase we get snowed in or anything and i live in a town ! have plenty of pellets too so they will last about 6 months lol !

Thats annoying! I've never had that happen but I have just discovered that my hay bale is infested with mites! Arrgh! :hb:
Having dosed my guinea pigs with ivermec to keep them comfortable, I now have to find a new source for hay :doh: We get our bales from a farmer and so far have been quite lucky when it comes to mites. They have chickens and peacocks walking and pooping all over the stuff :vom: The stuff we got from farmlands is no better so that leaves us with....the pet shop :no:

They'll be fine. Mine didn't have any nice during Christmas days where the shops shut early and I thought I had some. I just got so worried I made sure that they new I'd get them some first thing and they'd be safe.

I don't want this thread to drift into people thinking it's OK for Guinea Pigs to go days without hay .

Please refer to this thread for advice ...

Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet

i.e. Guinea Pigs should have a constant supply of hay .

The advice at the beginning of this thread was it would be satisfactory for them not to have a top up of hay overnight .

[QUpiggies iggyOwner, post: 1825850, member: 114675"]I don't want this thread to drift into people thinking it's OK for Guinea Pigs to go days without hay .

The advice at the beginning of this thread was it would be satisfactory for them not to have a top up of hay overnight .[/QUOTE]
My piggies are safe and alive. If it was cruel then they'd be taken off me. I didn'task a fforum because that's a silly thing to do. I went to my mums friend and she is a vet. I asked if she had any money so i can get some hay because itthought i had some. She said she's not got none and she said as long as you get some in the morning just put extra foodIin like cabbage, cellary, cucumber, lettuce. Ect. I put a blanket in there bed. They was happy and warm. It was only for a few hours so my advise is perfectly except able.

[QUpiggies iggyOwner, post: 1825850, member: 114675"]

The advice at the beginning of this thread was it would be satisfactory for them not to have a top up of hay overnight .

My piggies are safe and alive. If it was cruel then they'd be taken off me. I didn'task a fforum because that's a silly thing to do. I went to my mums friend and she is a vet. I asked if she had any money so i can get some hay because itthought i had some. She said she's not got none and she said as long as you get some in the morning just put extra foodIin like cabbage, cellary, cucumber, lettuce. Ect. I put a blanket in there bed. They was happy and warm. It was only for a few hours so my advise is perfectly except able.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying that . Your post said Christmas Days and I was concerned some readers may interpret "days" literally. It sounds like we are in agreement that no harm will be done if guinea pigs go without hay for a few hours.

Ironically I'm in the same situation now!

I went to clean the cage today and discovered that dad had thrown the whole hay bale out! :no::yikes::yikes:

Last edited:
="cavy clicker, post: 18Don't le3, leavee r: 120287"]Ironically I'm in the same situation notime veeent to cleis okn the cagedaysay and discovered that dad had thrown the whole hay bale out! :no::yikes::yikes:[/QUOTE]
Aslong as they get some soon. Dont leave it days because thats cruel. They need hay all the time. A few hours is ok. But not day

Thunderi do post: 1826103 said:
[QUpiggies iggyOwner, post: 1825850, member: 114675"]I don't want this thread to drift into people thinking it's OK for Guinea Pigs to go days without hay .

My piggies are safe and alive. If it was cruel then they'd be taken off me. I didn'task a fforum because that's a silly thing to do. I went to my mums friend and she is a vet. I asked if she had any money so i can get some hay because itthought i had some. She said she's not got none and she said as long as you get some in the morning just put extra foodIin like cabbage, cellary, cucumber, lettuce. Ect. I put a blanket in there bed. They was happy and warm. It was only for a few hours so my advise is perfectly except able.[/QUOTE]
Excuse me, but I do not need information on how to look after ginueapigs. I've had them for years and years. So have my parents. My mum has had piggies since she was 14. She's 45 now. We're completely experienced. So please do not refer me as a silly kid. Because I'm a aadult. Understood

[QUOT="PiggyOwner, post: 1826121, member: 114675"]My piggies are safe and alive. If it was cruel then they'd be taken off me. I didn'task a fforum because that's a silly thing to do. I went to my mums friend and she is a vet. I asked if she had any money so i can get some hay because itthought i had some. She said she's not got none and she said as long as you get some in the morning just put extra foodIin like cabbage, cellary, cucumber, lettuce. Ect. I put a blanket in there bed. They was happy and warm. It was only for a few hours so my advise is perfectly except able.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying that . Your post said Christmas Days and I was concerned some readers may interpret "days" literally. It sounds like we are in agreement that no harm will be done if guinea pigs go without hay for a few hours.[/QUOTE]
Well its called making an error. I only left them with no hay for 2 hours. Because ihad no mmoney i had to scrounge just to get some. Some owners don't bother. They just leave them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back