Nipping

Jack&Rex

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have 2 boy Guinea pigs that are just over a year old now. One of them is very quiet, laid back, likes a cuddle every now and then etc. the other one is the more outgoing one, will come and hop on me for a snooze, fuss , gives me licks….but…. He’s started to come and hop on me and nip my neck or shoulder. He very rarely makes me bleed but it does hurt. I tend to lift him off me and not stroke him or anything for a couple of minutes. Why would he be doing this? He doesn’t do it to anybody else really.

I have 2 boy Guinea pigs that are just over a year old now. One of them is very quiet, laid back, likes a cuddle every now and then etc. the other one is the more outgoing one, will come and hop on me for a snooze, fuss , gives me licks….but…. He’s started to come and hop on me and nip my neck or shoulder. He very rarely makes me bleed but it does hurt. I tend to lift him off me and not stroke him or anything for a couple of minutes. Why would he be doing this? He doesn’t do it to anybody else really.

Hi

It is most likely dominance.

You will find this link here helpful, including how to tell him in piggy behaviours that you are the boss without having to be nasty about it. The tips mimic how piggies deal with uppity members of the group they are in charge of.
Who is the Boss - Your Guinea Pig or You?

All the best!

He’s such a loving little lad too! Thank you for the info! I’ll have a read! 😊

Attachments

• 8217B0A8-1BBD-4BC3-87EF-9D21D566173E.webp
    8217B0A8-1BBD-4BC3-87EF-9D21D566173E.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 4
Back