Night Time Routines

sbenbow

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi All,

We are into our second day of being new GP owners! :D

We have a "two story" hutch (Bluebell, from Pets at Home) where the top has a "bedroom" section.

As the hutch is in the conservatory, i have put a snugglesafe in there, but hadn't realised how active GPs are at night (needing only 4 hours sleep per day!).

We have put the piggies in the bedroom both nights (we are not sure if they are happy using the ramp at this early stage) and taken them down this morning (although one was already "down"). Apart from that, we are leaving them to "acclimatise" to their new home with interfering too much.

Does anyone else put their piggies "to bed", or do you generally just let them do it themselves? I would just be worried at this stage that they wouldn't know that there is a warm bedroom for them to use if we didn't show them where it was to start off with. Are we being a bit overprotective? Or is this a good approach?

My piggies have a two storey hutch and I just leave them to it. They weren't happy using the ramp first of all but I encouraged them with food bribes. They tend to stay downstairs (down ramp?) most of the time. They are outside piggies and they have LOADS of hay in tonight plus snuggle safes, snuggle sacks, fluffy tunnels etc to keep them warm.

I don't but I did have to adapt the ramp to make it piggy friendly. We added a side to it and put some carpet on it to improve grip. My lot are now forever going up and down

I pretty much leave mine too it :) I feed them before I go to bed with some fresh food and then off to bed - Who knows what they get up to at night

Hi! Do you have a hutch or a cage in your conservatory. Please keep in mind that an unheated conservatory is basically like a giant car - it gets freezing cold in winter and very hot (piggies can and have died from heat stroke), and is not a recommended place to keep guinea pigs. Just a snugglesafe may not be enough insulation on frosty nights!
Cold Weather Care For Guinea Pigs

Just make sure that your piggies have a full water bottle and plenty of fresh hay for the night; then leave them be. Hay should make 80% of the daily food intake. The more you encourage them to eat it, the better for their long term health and longevity. You can use a cardboard box filled with soft meadow hay the piggies can snuggle into for extra insulation.

Guinea pigs are most active at dawn and dusk. Adults get up an browse quietly in between sleeps during the day and night. Youngsters need to get rid of some extra energy. They'll have no problems with amusing themselves.

Could you put a puppy pen around their cage and leave the bottom door open to allow more running space? They are such active animals and love a good whizz about.

I give mine their veg dinner (dindins) before tucking them in for the night! I went out to put something in the bin tonight after the piggies had had their evening cuddle and were safely in the hutch for the night. I was met by a chorus of 'Where's my dindins?' wheeks. Of course Meg was the loudest of all (how can a small creature make so much noise?) They had to wait a bit longer as I was heating up the snuggle safes and I wanted to do dindins and snuggle safes at the same time as it meant only once sorting out hutch hugger and blanket. The veg was all ready to go just not the snuggle safes! I know ....... I'm a bad piggy slave! :soz:

Back