Nibbling

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelissaG

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there. I have two female guinea pigs, iv had them for under a week and they are under ten weeks old...we think :) but one is beginning to nibble my fingers,not all the time and also not sore, I was wondering if anyone else has had this before, or what I should do, or what could be causing it? She's not destressed or anything it's just a small random nibble.

Hello Melissa. Welcome to the forum. Your piggies are still babies and are using their mouths to explore and learn about the world. Once a piggy gets to know you they can nibble to say they need to wee or want to go back so that is another reason they may nibble.

So it's alright for them to nibble? What about biting,one has bit was wasn't stressed or anything she seems really shy actually,she was sniffing the finger then bit so I'm unsure maybe she thought it was food ?

Aww she probably did think it was food. Maybe your hand smelled of food. Babies are so cute.

Aww she probably did think it was food. Maybe your hand smelled of food. Babies are so cute.

Is it essential for the 24/48 hour period before bringing them out? I'm just wondering cause I read that on all these forum and I'm worrying what if you didn't? Sorry I'm so nosey I just want to know everything lol

Leaving them in the cage for over 25/48 hours without taken them out, my friend took hers out as soon as she brought hers home and I was wondering what it does?

Ah sorry. The reason that is suggested is just to give them time to settle in. It is just to minimise stress for them. When guinea pigs are new they have so much to adjust to. If they are picked up it can be overwhelming. They tend to freeze in fear and people think it means they are fine being held.

I hope I have explained that okay.

That's alright. I'm jst being really nosey n want to make sure I'm doing everything right lol so how do I know my Guinea pig has settled in okay?

Please feel free to ask anything. Well it can take months for them to be settled. I know when mine are settled when they stop running when I walk about the room, take food from my hands and feel brave enough to Wheek.

Mines make a lot of squeeking noises but I looked it up and listened to others and the noises I heard on it was the happy ones which mines are making :)

Thanks :) I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right for them :) do you recommend anything I should do to ensure they are happy and settled? Treats ? Things like that,

I have had my boys for 2 weeks, they were also around 10 weeks when we got them and Norman is tye same, he nibbles us, but its normal. They are just exploring and finding their limits, most baby animals do this. Personally I give new pets atleast a week before trying to handle them, it can be very stressful and even traumatise them if they are not ready. Its so hard to not want to pick them up, but its in their best interest. You dont want to traumatise them then and then they become scared of you and assosiate you with a bad thing.

image.webp I'm just glad this is normal :) she's defo outgoing and happy...this is how she was lying last night..so I know she's relaxed with me :) thanks for your help.

I have two young ones that like to gently nibble - especially if I've been picking herbs before I put my hands near them!

My Kitty and Nessy will give me little licks and a little nibble also like grooming me lol. If one of them nibbles to hard I blow a puff of air at them to let them know it was too hard. I don't put them back right away after that. I don't want them to think that biting will get them what they want. When they want to go back they usually start pulling on the blanket.

Awww il defo try that, that's exactly what she does she licks my hand n fingers then sometimes a small nibble. Thanks very much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back