Nibbled ears?

• Thread starter Thread starter feefeeq
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

feefeeq

Hi Guys - I recently rescued 2 baby guinea pigs (4 days ago) and I'm uncertain if they are fighting or not :-\
They are brothers and so I understand that they could very well be fighting. Since brining them home they have been very nervous, only coming out of the enclosed bit of the hutch at night really - or it could be early morning. They seem to stick together like glue - I haven't seen them chasing each other or anything like that, they seem to protect each other if anything. However, I had each of them out of the hutch today to cuddle and ensure that I am not missing any bald patches or worse and noticed that the Branstons ears look like they've been nibbled on ever so slightly. Pickle's ears are smooth round the edges and I wonder if he has been gnawing on his brothers? They are not scabby and I don't see any blood or obvious sores - just little nicks taken frojm round the very edges. Is this some sort of parasite or the result of bullying?

If someone could help I would be most grateful - I don't want to over react but want to ensure that they settle down and become really happy little piggies ?

Is it an old nibble (healed) or a fresh one? If they are bonded & close don't do anything if the cuts are old. If the place they came from wan't too good then they could have been in with loads of other boars & bitten ears are inevitable unfortuanately. Just give them time & they'll come round sit with your hand in the cage so that they realise that you're not going to grab them every time they see you. Fresh food through the cage bars is a good one too. Welcome aboard btw x

Thank you!
They don't look new as in in they don't look sore so I'll just hold out and see how things progress, keeping an eye on things

thanks again!

I have 3 theories... :)

1) Your Piggy's ears have indeed been chewed by one of his cagemates when he was a piglet or by his cagemate now. I have a piggy like this who has almost no ears left... I must get a pics for you. If they are recent you would see some scabs etc. Keep an eye just in case but with the relationship you describe it doesn't sound likely.

2)Some Piggy's are born with tatty looking ears, these are very slightly tatty. I have had a pig like this too.

3) Sometimes Piggy's with fungal skin conditions have scurfy, red ears with sort of tide marks on them that might look tatty.

Not sure how much help that was but those are my thoughts... could you get a pics?

was they in contact with any other males before you rescued them? as they seem so close i cant imagine they did it although could be possible but the babies I took in a while ago adore each other and all have perfect ears, Susies mentioned other reasons just keep an eye on them

Thank you for all your suggestions. Having looked closely again this morning they seem to be much better. I am now thinking that maybe they were nibbled on by others befoe I rescued him. I'll just keep an eye on them to make sure but I am less worried now - thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back