Next Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
This is the date that my boys have to move to their outside hutch, ready or not, so I am praying for some warmer weather.

We are having the kitchen decorated, so I will have to move the entire contents of the kitchen into the utility room, where the piggies live at the moment. There will be no space to keep them indoors, so they will have to be in the outdoor hutch.

They will have lots of hay, a snugglesafe heat pad, and a cover over the hutch, so hopefully they will be fine.

I wasn't planning on doing it this early, but I don't really have much choice :( They aren't allowed anywhere else in the house because of the smell and mess, and there is no shed space.

I don't know where you stay but I'm up in Edinburgh and we're due to get snow on Sunday so don't think the weather is going to get much warmer.

I'm in Kent, so probably slightly warmer than Edinburgh. Oh dear though, wish there was somewhere else they could go :(

Lizzie71 said:
I'm in Kent, so probably slightly warmer than Edinburgh. Oh dear though, wish there was somewhere else they could go :(

Could you try and clear a space in your shed :) I know you said there was no room but a little shuffle round and there might be enough room for the hutch ;) :)

The trick with snuggle safes is to keep them insulated from underneath as well as above. I use one everynight for my African Hedgehog. It says they can keep warm for up to 12 hours, but mine is usually still warm even after 15 hours.
I have the pad on a brand new square piece of vet bed and it's already inside it's own cover it goes on. Then i have a double piece of fleece over the top. Holly sits right in the middle with a fleece blanket rolled up like a sausage around the three sides. And all of this is in a cardboard box. She loves the warmth it creates.

Well, I held on until today as the decorator is coming tomorrow. The boys are now in the outside hutch, with the rain cover on as it is still windy even though it is mild and sunny.

I have used about half a bag of hay making them cosy, and will put in heat pad in tonight, maybe with a box if I can find one and/or a vetbed remnant.

Hopefully the weather will continue to improve, and I'll be able to get them out in their run too before long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back