Newspapers under wood shavings

weepweeps

Senior Guinea Pig
Forum Buddy
Reaction score
As I had quite a lot of newspapers to use under the wood shavings I offered some of them to a friend who has piggies. She told me she’s been told that it’s not good for piggies to have newspapers so she doesn’t use them anymore. Has anyone else heard this? I will text her later today to ask her why but wanted to check here too. Thanks.

The only thing I can think is because of the ink. I’d be interested to hear if there are other reasons. Of course it can go soggy, so that is something else but with regular changing that is much less of an issue.
I used to use newspaper under hay all the time. My newspaper supply then dried up somewhat but I do still use them occasionally. When I’ve got them I use a layer of newspaper a layer of disposable bedding (aubiose etc), and then a layer of hay (if not it’ll just be a layer of disposable bedding, then hay). My piggies are not the type of rummage through to the newspaper and have never done so, so I see no reason not to use newspaper.

My rabbits however can sniff out newspaper! They don’t dig in their litter trays when it’s just disposable ….unless I put newspaper at the bottom! The layer of disposable bedding on top of the paper is always very thick, they couldn’t see the paper but will always find it, pull it out and shred it!

Naughty bunnies. 😆. Yeah I’ve never had a problem with it. I’ll update when she gets back to me.

I've used newspaper under shavings for years with no problems. But my shavings layer is really deep, it's not like they sit there chewing on the newspaper. I don't think my pigs have ever even seen a newspaper!

Yes it was something to do with the ink. I will still use them I think as they don’t nibble on them.

As I had quite a lot of newspapers to use under the wood shavings I offered some of them to a friend who has piggies. She told me she’s been told that it’s not good for piggies to have newspapers so she doesn’t use them anymore. Has anyone else heard this? I will text her later today to ask her why but wanted to check here too. Thanks.

It is not good for piggies to eat a lot of newspaper because of the ink. However, as long as your piggies can't get at it, it is not a problem.

I still use it to line my hay trays underneath a liner of absorbent bedding which makes them much easier and quicker to empty out and clean. The underlay prevents the hay from turning into a soggy mess.

Munching or nibbling some newspaper is not toxic (the ink in it is no longer harmful these days compared to what it used to be because of the widespread pet use), as all the piggies of mine that have lived to a ripe old age are testament for; so the occasional pulling out and nibbling is not a problem. With a good normal diet and a healthy gut, the hunger for newspaper is very limited.
The advantages still outweigh the disadvantages - and with currently 13 cages, ease of cleaning is an important aspect for me!

But it is always down to personal preference. You can always ask your local vet or a rescue whether they are still interested in newspaper.

We always use newspaper in our hay areas under the recycled paper substrate and hay, and also for floor time in the playpen. The piggies rarely eat it, perhaps a quick nibble at the edge... I've never heard of modern inks being toxic, I would be interested to know where your friend got their information from?
We usually have newspaper in our vet carrier too under a fleecy pee pad and no vet has ever mentioned its a bad thing... and we see a fair few piggy savvy vets!

There are often online scare stories like this doing the rounds there were a few last year about cardboard boxes being toxic too... but I've never really seen any of them verified with scientific evidence!
Some reports may be coincidence based on the fact that a piggy who obsessively eats lots of cardboard and paper often has an underlying gut disturbance, so may well be very ill anyway and trying to eat as much fibre as possible...

My first piggies Lenny & Gizmo where outside piggies on bedding of newspaper and hay for 5 years and they were very healthy and I only had to visit the vet once in all that time with Lenny cos he had a burst neck abscess. They very rarely ate the paper cos they had a good diet so didn't feel the need to supplement it with the newspaper.

The information came from a pet shop where her friend bought her piggies from. Maybe they were trying to get her to buy puppy pads?

The information came from a pet shop where her friend bought her piggies from. Maybe they were trying to get her to buy puppy pads?
Ah perhaps! Of course everyone should decide for themselves what they think is best for their piggies, but if you usually use newspaper then be assured many of us also do so too with no ill effects :)
While many pet shop staff may love animals and want to give good advice, often they dont need to have any qualifications for the job so may get the advice they give second hand!

My piggies pee on the daily mail too lol one of piggy daddy's elderly care work clients saves us all his daily mails every week in exchange for a couple of bottles of beer every weekend :)

I’m pleased we had the discussion on newspapers. If people use newspapers that’s fine. If it’s puppy pads that’s great too!

As it’s been terror day for my girlies and they are outside on the lawn while the hotel is beautified again, I have been giving this some thought.
My girlies live inside in a huge 2 layer Ferplast cage on snowflake and some hay. Since the babies arrived all four have decided that there is one part of the downstairs layer that is the ‘toilet’ area. These girlies are really quite clean and disciplined about it too which is the complete opposite of my previous piglets.

So, interesting reading about using puppy pads under the shavings I hadn’t thought of that 👍, I would be happy to try newspaper but we simply don’t get any.... 🤔. Being owners of two of the big grass eating money munchers that require new shoes every 6 weeks, got me thinking about absorbent bedding products. We have been at one yard (briefly) where bedding had to be of this type but it was very costly in winter with two boys that have bladders like camels....

Has anyone tried using Sorbeo or a similar pellets under the shavings in the bedding/toilet area? I am thinking of trying like a 10mm layer under the snowflake in the toilet area and seeing if it reduces the odour and soaks up the tiddles any better??

I have always used newspaper under hay for their cages, it brilliant, I get the Sunday Times which is becoming thinner and thinner but luckily my neighbours get the Mail which is a hefty lump of paper 😆 All inks used are now safe even if piggies chew them

Back