Newspaper--Good or bad?

• Thread starter Thread starter lamore411
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lamore411

I read one of Peter Gurney's books and he said to use newspaper for litter. My Brownie eats it when it is in the bottom of his cage under the hay and shavings. I am trying to get away from using shavings althought our pet shop said to use only shavings! What should I do? My piggies are healthy so should I keep using shavings unless there is a problem or is eating ink/newspaper ok? How about "Yesterdays News" Is it affordable? Safe? I cannot find megazorb or petbed here in Maine or online in the US.

I just purchased a new cage for my Mum and her two little ones. It is an XL Marchiorio....they love it!

Could you try fleece fabric?
I use newspaper under fleece in one of my cages, Delilah still somehow eats it, but ive been told its safe.

the newspapers use a type of ink, i cant remember what its called but its a safe one :)

Newspaper ink in the UK is soya based,lead ink has not been used for years.I do not know what the situation is in the US.You would need to contact the publisher and ask.

If you are worried about the paper,put a vet bed on top.

Woodshavings and sawdust are not the best bedding because they can cause nasal and eye irritation and possible allergic reactions in the piggies.

For hygenie reasons I expect. In catering everything has to be spotless doesn't it? :)

ash said:
but if its ok - why did they ban fish and chip shops from using it :(

i think it was because people became worried it wouldn't be hygienic to eat food out of it, ie whos touched/read it :) lol

my piggy does that and you can actually hear her ripping it up ready to eat, I keep taking it off her and I have just cleaned them out and gave them some lovely cabbage leaves to munch on and the little one is sitting there eating a wood chip 98) dived in to get it out of her mouth and she ate is fast and legged it in her bed ;D

all my piggies have a munch on their newspaper not tons of the stuff but some times a little, causes havoc for me as usually they do it after they have been cleaned out ::) ::)

I use newspaper for lining the bottom of the tray - but they girls don't touch it! I thought they would have a little munch on it but they're too busy eatting all the bedding hay I've put down - even when there's yummy herbage hay there for them. O0

I've only recently joined this forum-Sokel directed me to it. My piggies have always had paper on the bottom, snowflake dust extracted chips, straw in their bed. I feed hay evey day but buy this from local pet hop & know they hay is from local farmer. i dont like the flat packed compressed straw or hay.
They have a litter tray in the toilet bit as I've found it easier just to empty this & put more wood chips in it.
It would seem that people do all different things. I was going to look at something different as the new piggies are babies.

if eating the newspaper was going to cause them any harm mine would have keeled over by now, they prefer it to their hay sometimes.... they pull back the fleece and dive in.... 3 yrs later theyre big and healthy so it cant be doing them any harm!

Mine do it too, gives them something to do so I wouldnt take it away. They seem to take great delight in shredding it 98)

I wonder if it tastes any good to them. You know, fast food. The equivalent of a McDonalds for piggies.

Thanks everyone....I feel better now. Brownie and the babes like to nibble....I think it may be out of boredom some times! They are silly, running, weeking and tearing it up.

Newspaper = yummy, lets rip up what mammy has just spent the last 5minutes laying down and make a mess of our clean cage.

I have tried 1 cage without newspaper and just put the megazorb(new to megazorb) down to see what happens. TBH Doris and Susie are not my friends at the moment due to me taking their bed out and washing it.

Emma x

I just gave Brownie a few extra layers and he is tearing it up! I think he likes the noise! ;D ;D

Whats vet bed? also i use carpet for my gp Kuma and he bites it sometims... so i put some bedding also is it safe?

I would not use carpet where my pigs could chew it as a lot of carpets contain a chemical to prevent rot.,also they will most likely be dyed as well.

Vet bed is excellent,I use it for my pigs.It is a fleece with a special backing to wick the urine through.This keeps the pigs dry.The vet beds are washable,by hand or machine.They last for years.Pet shops sell them as do Wilkinsons,they are also available on the internet.I find the cheapest way to buy them is by the roll,then you can just cut to the size you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back