newspaper gets soggy after a day

• Thread starter Thread starter archieismybaby
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

archieismybaby

I was thinking of going back to woodshavings as my boy always has a wet bum from sitting in the wee, i dont think the newspaper is any good for him , does anyone else use woodshaving s will he be ok with it?

thing is he poos so much too that I'm finding it hard to clean out, before i could change him every two day s or so and now its like every day !

newspaper on its own will never be enough! :o

besides, once the temperatures drop, he will have nothing to cuddle into, hell be too cold!

Me personally, I use woodshavings (never sawdust!) and see nothing wrong with it. Yes people say they are bad for piggies breathing, or piggies on shavings are prone to fungal, but in all the time I have kept rabbits, and later guinea pigs, I never had any problem like that. I think woodshavings are great, very absorbant, they can go into the gardenwaste bin, very cheap, etc.. Other people will tell you differently.

However, if you do not want to go for woodshavings, there are plenty of other things you can put on top of the newspaper. Hay, for example, though I find its not that absorbing and the cage will need cleaning sooner than with other bedding.

You could use megazorb, if you got a supplier near you, vetbed fleece or towels if you dont mind using your washing machine for piggy stuff, some people use paper shreddings, there are loads of review threads for the different bedding types in this section of the forum, go have a look :)

But having a piggy solely on newspaper isnt a good idea in my opinion... nothing to cuddle into, to burrow into, nothing to keep you warm.. its like a guinea pig sleeping rough!

My piggies have newspaper and vetbed in their sleeping area.Everywhere else is newspaper and megazorb.
The newspaper still gets damp though after 2 or 3 days.
Newspaper alone i imagine will get damp within a few hours.

same here, after three days its cleaning-out time. with bedding on top -

just trying to imagine how quick newspaper on its own would get soggy ?

I use a layer of newspaper then tons of hay and the shredded paper. I am looking at alternatives. I personally don't use woodshavings, not really for the pigguns sakes but mine, I am allergic and end up with really sore hands even when I wear gloves.

I have found the Meadow Hay in Tesco is great for snuggling, its slightly more clumpy and thinner and I use Wilko Hay for the play area and they can nibble on that although I've a Hay rack with Herbage in!

Newspaper on its own isn't enough, they like the hide up as well :)

Louise
:)

I use hay for bedding on top the newspaper :) but it still gets soggy - i m going to get some woodshavings

:o i know that they need to burrow - he has unlimited amounts of hay so hes not living rough hes v spoilt infact !

Please, not wishing to spark an awkward debate on the use of wood products, but what is the difference between sawdust and wood shavings (don't mean to be thick either, I'm just not sure) :)

PS I have to clean mine out every second day, and they are on a thick newspaper with fresh meadow hay on top (beautifully easy to clean out). They adore throwing the hay over themselves and peering out from underneath ;D

Ah that's great Archie :) Sorry didn't mean to offend you in anyway :) I do think with newspaper then you have to clear them out more often than not, if you are happy with woodshavings then resort back but maybe you could try vetbed. Hey wouldn't it be great if Piggy's would use a toilet. Flora peed all over me last night! :D

Have a good day,

Louise
:)

my boy peed on my bed - on my hubbys side ;D he always does - maybe hes fighting over me :smitten:

I have to use a very thick layer of newspaper as Cobweb could pee for Britain. I use loads of hay on top, have use this method for a while, as long as they are topped up with hay daily and cleaned regular there's no probs with my two. :)

My two are indoor piggies, too O0

You're not thick, Karenza - fair question O0 Wood shavings are widely used by some and avoided by others because of the potential breathing/skin problems they can cause, but in my opinion sawdust is quite dangerous as it's very easily inhaled by some animals. Hope this is what you meant...

archieismybaby said:
my boy peed on my bed - on my hubbys side ;D he always does - maybe hes fighting over me :smitten:

LOL! Are you going to tell hubby? ;)

i did in the end ;D i just moved the duvet round the other way as it was at the top of the bed so it ended up at the foot of the bed and he didnt even notice oops

Hehe thats cool :) Sometimes its hard online as its only text you can't see what people mean all the time! My boys haven't peed on me as yet. We had a big cuddle last night and Flora was wriggling I should have known. Peter just sat there laughing and wouldn't help until it had soaked right through! :)

just defending myself as the abnoba (not sure if that s right) said my archies sleeping rough!

ive always given him lots of hay to snuggle in as i know they need it its vital to them- i was advised to use newspaper intead of woodshavings but i dont get on with it

I use newspaper, aubiose and hay on top. I find the aubiose cheaper than woodshavings in the long run as it come in 20kg massive bags for £7. Instead of vetbed, I bought nice cream bathmats for the other area of their cage. The c & c cage on top has all hay though :)

To be honest it is my first time of using newspaper, it seems ok for us, I'll be cleaning them out again either tomorrow or Sunday, I did that on Thursday I can only clean out when Peter is off work as my two daughters want to help and Caitlin is only 2 she says awwww piggies and starts stroking them, I can't cope with piggies, cleaning and children all at once! ;D

tell me about it - i had to scoop out piggie poo from the grass yesterday ! kids and animals why do we do it ;D must be 98)

Well they are Emily's pigs but I'm lumbered with them! Not that I'm complaining! :D Peter has his fish to care for and he states the pigs are not his responsibility. I still have issues with picking the boys up as they can riddle so he helps me with that but thats it. Good thing is when the girls are bigger they can help me!

archieismybaby said:
just defending myself as the abnoba (not sure if that s right) said my archies sleeping rough!

ive always given him lots of hay to snuggle in as i know they need it its vital to them- i was advised to use newspaper intead of woodshavings but i dont get on with it

sorry!

Just from the way you wrote about it, it sounded like he only had a layer of newspaper, not hay or anything on top!
Sorry about the misunderstanding. :)

Karenza said:
Please, not wishing to spark an awkward debate on the use of wood products, but what is the difference between sawdust and wood shavings (don't mean to be thick either, I'm just not sure) :)

Well, like the name implies: dust or shavings. Dust being very very fine ... well DUST, and the shavings being bigger flakes of wood.

I googled some pictures for you:

Sawdust

sawdust2.jpg

0307SAWDUST_wideweb__470x264,0.jpg

Woodshavings:

hsch_m05.jpg

ss.jpg

The dust is really fine, just opening a bag of it will result in a cloud of it in the air, making you cough, god I dont want to imagine what it must be like for a guinea pig to live on it. the shavings however are bigger flakes, therefor you wont get this awful dustiness with them.

ok no worries - he is on many layers of newspaper - but cool lets forget about it

i just went to pick archie out of his run and he growled at me - was scary ! he didnt bite but i used a towel :( he s a grumpy sod sometimes ::) >:D

Haa ,, He GROWLED ? never had that problem before with my patchy and toby !!?? Aha good word, "Sod"

'E mus' be a lil devil >:D (Piggie i mean)

Bless ,,

he is a >:D and is very 98) but then so am i at times - i always pick them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back