Newspaper Alternatives

• Thread starter Thread starter mutton chops
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mutton chops

Just wondering if there's any alternatives to newspaper that I can use underneath vetbed, as I often run out of newspaper and it dosn't last very long?
Any suggestions would be great. :)

I know some people use puppy pads but they can be costly especially if using long term. You could put the fleece that has a plasitc back on one side that way you could just wash it. x

well you need something under vet bed to absorb what goes through it, what about towels? I'm going to try putting heavy kitchen lino stuck down so pigs can't rip it up and chew it, then medi bed on top. You could stick down some lino under the towels?

Lino's the stuff they use on kitchen and bathroom floors isn't it?
I'm gonna try the towels under the vetbed right now.
I think this is a really stupid question, but why would you put lino underneath, as mine have corrugated plastic then newspaper then vetbed? I'm just being thick aren't I? ;D

lol well assume you have a C&C cage then, in which case you probs don't need lino...I do as mine are in hutches :) however the lino might increase the life of your correx....my correx is nearly knackered and I only used it over the winter months :(

Yup, they are! I should've just said that should'nt I ;D!
Think I will try lino when my correx is all worn out then. Let me know how well it goes. O0

starla said:
lol well assume you have a C&C cage then, in which case you probs don't need lino...I do as mine are in hutches :) however the lino might increase the life of your correx....my correx is nearly knackered and I only used it over the winter months :(

really? my correx lasted really well. had it almost a year now!

I 'spose it depends on the quality of the correx, the size of the C&C and how many piggys you've got.

Oh yeah, has anyone tried quilted mattress protectors, 'cus my Mum suggested them and I'm not sure if they're gonna be asorbent enough? :-\

I use mattress protectors under my fleece and they are the best things I've used so far. I've tried towels and newspaper and carefresh. They're much easier to spread out on a cage floor than towels and they don't get as heavy plus they dry really quick. One extra point is that you can cut them to the size of your cage. I got mine from Primark, think its £5 or £6 for a king size protector which I cut up and put two layers in and then fleece. Huge thumbs up from me. They don't smell as much as towels either. Trying to think of some bad points but I don't think I've found any yet really. Hope this helps.

I use towels under fleece and they are much better than newspaper. I found newspaper didn't last long and smells after a day.

starla said:
my correx is nearly knackered and I only used it over the winter months :(

that's surprising, is it because your piggies chew it? My first set of correx lasted 6 years! I only replaced it about a month ago.

I am lining my correx with another lot of plastic before I put my ebdding in...... will be giving the mattres protectors a go. x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back