Newly dominant pig

Eviolus-

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! Been a while since I've posted here but I was hoping for some advice.

Unfortunately at the beginning of December I lost my oldest pig leaving me with 2 girls and one boy in a 7×2. It took a couple of weeks for things to settle again but this last week one has started being dominant to the other female. I'm a little worried things will escalate and they'll fight because it's quite frequent chattering, rumbling and nose lifting. The other pig doesn't seem to be resisting at all but she won't leave her alone anyway.

I was considering adopting another pig once some more time has passed but I don't know if that would make the situation worse? Or will they eventually settle down on their own?

Hi! Been a while since I've posted here but I was hoping for some advice.

Unfortunately at the beginning of December I lost my oldest pig leaving me with 2 girls and one boy in a 7×2. It took a couple of weeks for things to settle again but this last week one has started being dominant to the other female. I'm a little worried things will escalate and they'll fight because it's quite frequent chattering, rumbling and nose lifting. The other pig doesn't seem to be resisting at all but she won't leave her alone anyway.

I was considering adopting another pig once some more time has passed but I don't know if that would make the situation worse? Or will they eventually settle down on their own?

Hi
I would have the problem sow vet checked for possible ovarian cysts before you consider any further additions to your pair.
This kind of confrontational behaviour or seemingly having a nonstop mega-season is typical for the hormone based variety of ovarian cysts, which typically affects sows between 2-4 years but can occasionally happen earlier or later.

More information on ovarian cysts and any treatment options in this link here: Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

Back