Newly Bonded Piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodgkisonj

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I've just put my newly bonded guinea pigs together and they aren't fighting but ignoring each other both at both ends of the hutch . I have noticed that they teeth chatter at each other but they also teeth chatter at me when I go to their hutch is this behaviour normal ? I know at each other yes but why at me ? Or is this a sign they are Un happy ? Had new neutered male for two weeks he was in separate hutch for a week then in females hutch with divider for a week plus five lots of one and a half hour meets on nurtural territory . Could someone Pls advise ? Thank you

P's he was from the blue cross and health checked etc hence no quarantine period needed

Sorry I am a bit confused by your post.
It sounds like you have 3 piggies?. Are they a male and 2 females?
How long since the male was neutered? He must wait 6 weeks post op to be certain he can't get your females pregnant.
Did you introduce them in neutral territory, and then put them into a fully cleaned hutch once they had settled?
It sounds like you put them together for 1.5 hours a couple of times and then split them up again? Was there a reason to not leave them together?
How big is their hutch?
And also with a group you need to make sure there are plenty of hideys and also a food and water bowl/bottle for each pig.
If they are a newly bonded group it may just take them a while to settle down and work out their pecking order, but as long as they have lots of space and resources, they should eventually settle.

The boar cannot get the female pregnant this is not an issue. He was neutered ages ago and the blue cross would not let anyone have a boar with a female if chances of making her pregnant. Also the Vet advised me that its actually between 2 and 4 weeks that a neutered boar can still make female pregnant for.

I have a 4 and a half year old female and one and a half year old boar whom is new the hutch is 6 foot approved by and vetted by the blue cross so no issues with that. I put them together 5 times on nutral territory each time for 5 and half hours not one. I bonded my female guinea pig with her deceased cagey mate so I'm not new to bonding but I was lucky with the old pairing they got on straight away . I was really just wondering if this behaviour normal not need advise about the bonding process seeing as I have blues cross advising me.

And obviously yes I put them in a thoroughly cleaned out hutch .

The boar cannot get the female pregnant this is not an issue. He was neutered ages ago and the blue cross would not let anyone have a boar with a female if chances of making her pregnant. Also the Vet advised me that its actually between 2 and 4 weeks that a neutered boar can still make female pregnant for.

Unfortunately it sounds like your vet may not be very experienced with guinea pigs.
It is definitely not safe to put a boar in with a female only 2 - 4 weeks post neuter (unless he was castrated at around 2 weeks old, prior to reaching sexual maturity).
I know of at least one member on this forum who has a guinea pig that was fathered by a boar who was 5 weeks post op!

please read my posts I have explained to the t that the boar is safe as blue cross had him for weeks after neutering thank you

teeth chattering is a sign that they are not happy and are getting angry! It's a warning sound, I've had a couple of piggies teeth chatter at me but only when I've been trying to catch them and their getting annoyed, never have they done it if I just approach the cages!
@Swissgreys has given you some very good answers to your post, I'm unsure what your question actually is? Is it the teeth chattering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back