Newly bonded piggies - is this normal/ok?

LondonLady

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
Any of you who have read my other posts will know that after Biscuit passed away in December I brought Spice (3.5yr old sow) home to live with Toffee (4.5yr old neutered boar) last Saturday. They were bonded at a rescue and although there has been a bit of chasing (from Toffee) and squealing (from Spice), they seemed to be getting on well, eating together and even sleeping side by side on one occasion and the chasing was decreasing. That is until today. This morning Toffee has been mounting Spice practically non stop. This is a new experience for me because in the 3+ years Toffee lived with Biscuit I never saw him try to mount her once. Is this normal? Should I just let them get on with it? I know mounting/humping is normal behaviour but this has been relentless. I did actually separate them for about 15 minutes (Spice in the cage, Toffee in the play pen) to give her a bit of peace but once back together it started again

I should say that things have quietened down now, and they are both calmly eating, but I need to go out soon and I'm concerned about leaving them together. Should I be worried? Is there anything I should do?

Thanks so much for any advice.

It all sounds like normal behaviour to me. Could Spice be in season? If so, things will be pretty lively x
Thank you, that's reassuring. As I said above it's quietened down now. I was just taken aback because I've never actually seen such non stop mounting before and poor Spice sounded really distressed.

Any of you who have read my other posts will know that after Biscuit passed away in December I brought Spice (3.5yr old sow) home to live with Toffee (4.5yr old neutered boar) last Saturday. They were bonded at a rescue and although there has been a bit of chasing (from Toffee) and squealing (from Spice), they seemed to be getting on well, eating together and even sleeping side by side on one occasion and the chasing was decreasing. That is until today. This morning Toffee has been mounting Spice practically non stop. This is a new experience for me because in the 3+ years Toffee lived with Biscuit I never saw him try to mount her once. Is this normal? Should I just let them get on with it? I know mounting/humping is normal behaviour but this has been relentless. I did actually separate them for about 15 minutes (Spice in the cage, Toffee in the play pen) to give her a bit of peace but once back together it started again

I should say that things have quietened down now, and they are both calmly eating, but I need to go out soon and I'm concerned about leaving them together. Should I be worried? Is there anything I should do?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Welcome to the mad world of strong seasons! Thankfully, it will be over by this evening. But excess of pheromones and shared emotions will serve to tighten their bond. A strong first season is generally part of the mixed gender process. ;)

When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

Back