• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Newly adopted boar shows bald spots!

GuineaMa24

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! Just adopted this pair of boars. One has bald spots while the other doesn’t (or at least I haven’t seen!) I need help identifying what these might indicate — are they typical bald spots from fighting/barbering, or are they mites? Any help appreciated!

He gets annoyed when i touch in that area — starts nibbling and biting at himself or his surroundings when touched near this area (see video).

Hi! Welcome to the forum fellow Hoosier!

Your piggies will need a vet check as it could be a few reasons why they have bald spots. I wouldn't keep touching his spots as they could be a contagious issue to humans or it is painful to him. Also, I would just not recommend touching his bum/far back area as it is a bit insulting to piggies. Take both piggies in to see the vet. I highly recommend Avian and Exotic Animal Clinic on the north side of Indianapolis or VCA Stoney Creek in Noblesville. Both have fantastic exotic vets on staff that know their piggy stuff. The rescue I foster takes all of their animals to either of those vets. I love my foster piggies!

After you get a vet diagnosis and treatment, I would contact the rescue that you adopted your piggies from as a good rescue has their piggies vet checked before sending them out for adoption.

Edit: Forgot to add the rescue will hopefully cover the vet costs you incur to get your piggies in a healthy way.

Hi! Just adopted this pair of boars. One has bald spots while the other doesn’t (or at least I haven’t seen!) I need help identifying what these might indicate — are they typical bald spots from fighting/barbering, or are they mites? Any help appreciated!

He gets annoyed when i touch in that area — starts nibbling and biting at himself or his surroundings when touched near this area (see video).

Hi and welcome

Can you please post pictures of the bald spots because otherwise we cannot comment. As a rule of thumb, anything that is symmetric on both sides of the same body is normal, like the individually shaped spots behind the ears.the best way to upload any pictures is via the Attach Files button underneath your post when you write it.

Please take the time to read these very helpful links here in the meantime:
Guinea pig body quirks - What is normal and what not?
New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights

Please also accept that guinea pigs are prey animals and that - unlike what you get to see on human interest driven social media - the majority of piggies may tolerate cuddling for a short while (5-10 minutes on average), a minority will enjoy some cuddles and - at the other end - a considerable part will never come to like being handled.

You may find our New Owners practical information bundle very helpful - the two previous links are part of it. It aims to address the most commonly encountered issues by new owners we have seen on this forum in the last 16 years and how to best deal with them. There is quite a bit on how to make friends with your piggies in their own social language and understand behaviours.
Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners

Hi all, thanks for the replies so far. I have videos attached so pls check them out! Also, I know that we generally shouldn’t touch their back — I just wanted to illustrate how the piggy reacts near these spots, as he also is annoyed by the bald spot underneath his chin :/ I will be taking them both to the vet anyway to get checked out, so hopefully I can get them some treatment. Thank you so much for your input — first time having 2 males! Had females before so I didn’t know how typical this is/was of males (esp since barbering is common amongst males trying to establish dominance!) Anyway, I’ll post an update asap! :)

If the uncomfortable spots are at on the back, then please read the link in my first post re. possible skin parasites (especially mange mites) or fungal skin infections. Please accept that we can only guess.

If the uncomfortable spots are at on the back, then please read the link in my first post re. possible skin parasites (especially mange mites) or fungal skin infections. Please accept that we can only guess.
Yep, I’m looking for guesses and input before I take them to the vet. Thanks

Yep, I’m looking for guesses and input before I take them to the vet. Thanks
Please read the links in my first post; they will enable to you better to get an idea what is going on than us having to make any wild guesses based on what you are saying and no way to access your piggy.

One of my males reacted in a very similar way when he had mites. This is extremely painful and irritating as the mites burrow under the skin.
It can't be seen with the naked eye, but thankfully can be fairly easy treated with proper veterinary prescribed medication.
I hope you can have your boys seen by a vet soon.

One of my males reacted in a very similar way when he had mites. This is extremely painful and irritating as the mites burrow under the skin.
It can't be seen with the naked eye, but thankfully can be fairly easy treated with proper veterinary prescribed medication.
I hope you can have your boys seen by a vet soon.
Thank you! This was helpful and I’ll post an update when I get them checked.

Back