• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Newborn Pig Cloudy-ish eyes and discharge?

asthmaticdodongo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi y’all! I really appreciate the work all you do, this forum has been so helpful since I got piggies! I need some advice, I will likely end up taking her to the vet but I’m not sure what to do in the meantime since I can’t really afford an emergency visit. She was born 1/08/22 as a part of an oops litter (her dad is now fixed!) but when I discovered that she was born, she already had issues with her eye. There was a little bit of discharge and was not opening it all of the way, but it seemed better after a warm qtip cleaning so I wanted to wait it out. This morning her eye was crusted shut, but she’s behaving like normal for a baby pig. Has anyone else come across something like this? Thank you!

Unfortunately, I can't see much on your pictures.

This link may be helpful in working out whether you are dealing with a potential injury or infection (in which case you will need to see a vet promptly as eyes deteriorate very quickly) or with a congenital (i.e. genetic early onset) cataract/nuclear sclerosis - the latter doesn't cause any discharge but is inside the eye whereas any ulceration (infection gunk) is forming on the surface. If in any doubt, we always recommend to please see a vet promptly with an eye problem: Guinea Lynx :: Eyes

I hope she will be sorted soon. Eye treatment is the same across all animals so you should be able to have her seen by a normal vet. Good luck.

Unfortunately, I can't see much on your pictures.

This link may be helpful in working out whether you are dealing with a potential injury or infection (in which case you will need to see a vet promptly as eyes deteriorate very quickly) or with a congenital (i.e. genetic early onset) cataract/nuclear sclerosis - the latter doesn't cause any discharge but is inside the eye whereas any ulceration (infection gunk) is forming on the surface. If in any doubt, we always recommend to please see a vet promptly with an eye problem: Guinea Lynx :: Eyes
Thank you for the help though! It’s tough to get a view of even in real life, I’ve been going back and forth with “it’s a scratch” and “it’s something genetic” because the blue tint is new.

I hope she will be sorted soon. Eye treatment is the same across all animals so you should be able to have her seen by a normal vet. Good luck.
Thank you! Funny enough, I’ve called several vets and none of them wanted to take her! I’m lucky to have a wonderful primary exotic vet, it’s just quite a driver.

She's a cute little one :love:

When I look on my laptop rather than my phone, on the first photo I can see a patch of white on the eye, but I can't tell if it's just on the eye , or reflecting light, or part of it; in the second, I can see a circle of pale blue in the middle of the eye. However as I'm not a medical expert, I cannot say if they signify anything. I hope you can get her seen and treated if necessary soon!

Back