Newbiee Owner Needs Advice

Tashie_

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi so i have a few questions ive had my guine pig for about 6 weeks now and i think I'm doing everything right she is still a pup as i had her when she was 10-12 weeks old i was feeding her kale and spinch everyday untill i was told that it wss to much so ive changed her diet to lettace (not iceberg) and theb spinch or kale every other day she looks healthy however today ive notcied that around her bum her fur as gone a light browny yellow colour and wounderd if this anything to worry about? She is a white guniea pig i did think diarreah but her poop drops seem solid to me I havnt cleaned it as she is still timmed and hard to catch which also i wounderd if this was normal i do talk her her everyday and she as begun to take food put of my hand just hope someone can help

Hello, welcome to the forum :)
We feed ours this roughly

Morning:
Cucumber -1.5 cm x 2cm chunks (twice)
Celery - 1 stick between 3 chopped up small
1/6th of Red/Green/Yellow Bell Pepper (de-seeded)

Evening:
Cucumber 1.5 cm x 2cm chunks (twice)
Two Little Gem Lettuce leaves or 10 sprigs Coriander. Twice a week we will swap in cabbage or parsley

We also add in to the above diet carrot, sweet potato, celery leaves and a few other things occasionally

But by no means am I any expert on food here, some folks on the forum are really clued up... so pick up advise where you can.

She sounds like she is just a bit messy, sometimes that happens with white pigs if they have sat in a wet poo.... too much lettuce can cause wet poo's so mix the diet up a little. The poo's are solid in the cage at moment?

Hi so i have a few questions ive had my guine pig for about 6 weeks now and i think I'm doing everything right she is still a pup as i had her when she was 10-12 weeks old i was feeding her kale and spinch everyday untill i was told that it wss to much so ive changed her diet to lettace (not iceberg) and theb spinch or kale every other day she looks healthy however today ive notcied that around her bum her fur as gone a light browny yellow colour and wounderd if this anything to worry about? She is a white guniea pig i did think diarreah but her poop drops seem solid to me I havnt cleaned it as she is still timmed and hard to catch which also i wounderd if this was normal i do talk her her everyday and she as begun to take food put of my hand just hope someone can help

Hi and welcome!

Here are our diet tips, which you may find helpful; we have created a sample diet (with picture) to help new owners. Your diet is still too high in calcium for the long term, but you need to compensate with something that contains vitamin C, but not so much calcium (can lead to bladder stones).
Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet

You can give your girl a bum bath with hand warm water in a bowl in shower or bathtub, but be aware that no shampoo will ever completely remove the urine staining. As long as your girl is not totally messed up with thangled and matted hair, I would frankly not worry; she has obviously been peeing while sitting/sleeping in the puddle. It is going to happen again. Too much bathing is not good for the skin and many shampoos are not suitable for guinea pig skin.
How To Bathe Guinea Pigs - Including Ears & Grease Glands

In the longer term, it would be great if you considered a same sex companion as guinea pigs are social animals that should not be kept on their own.

Here are lots of helpful tips for new owners, from making friends with their piggies with a spot of piggy whispering to caring tips, understanding guinea pig behaviour to learning what is normal and what not, and how to spot illness early on etc. New Owners' Online Starter " Booklet" For Really Helpful Advice

This may help you catch them a little easier

Hi and welcome to the forum. As mentioned above some white bottomed piggies are just messier than others. I've had several white bums but one in particular started with a yellow tinge well before any health conditions which could cause it. There are a few health conditions that are not uncommon that can cause a piggy to be messier or to sit in their own urine more but I would say that if you aren't noticing any other signs of illness - hunched up, fluffed up, squeaking in pain, loss of appetite or loss of weight then its likely to be normal. You would definitely know if it were diarrhoea and to be honest the one pig I did have with that did not have much of a mess around her bum

Hello, welcome to the forum :)
We feed ours this roughly

Morning:
Cucumber -1.5 cm x 2cm chunks (twice)
Celery - 1 stick between 3 chopped up small
1/6th of Red/Green/Yellow Bell Pepper (de-seeded)

Evening:
Cucumber 1.5 cm x 2cm chunks (twice)
Two Little Gem Lettuce leaves or 10 sprigs Coriander. Twice a week we will swap in cabbage or parsley

We also add in to the above diet carrot, sweet potato, celery leaves and a few other things occasionally

But by no means am I any expert on food here, some folks on the forum are really clued up... so pick up advise where you can.

She sounds like she is just a bit messy, sometimes that happens with white pigs if they have sat in a wet poo.... too much lettuce can cause wet poo's so mix the diet up a little. The poo's are solid in the cage at moment?
Thanks and yes poos seem soild and lots lol will contuie to experment with her diet

This may help you catch them a little easier
Thanks and thanks for the vid fubbily enough this us how i transpirt her to abd from her play pen did wounder if it was dangours but glad its not

Thanks and thanks for the vid fubbily enough this us how i transpirt her to abd from her play pen did wounder if it was dangours but glad its not

Not as long as they can't get out from whatever you are carrying them in

Back