Newbie with “accidental” babies trying to Bond

Bill C

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, first post so please be kind. Quick background we have had two adult brothers for about a year. We got a female, kept her separate and she must have been pregnant when we got her. We were surprised with two beautiful babies that I’ve sexed to be one male and female.

We’ve kept mom and 2 babies together and we’re approaching the 3 week mark to separate the male baby from mom.

We’ve successfully bonded the baby boy with both of the Adult boys individually but when all 3 boys are put together the two adults appear to be getting violent with each other. Looks like biting for the neck area by the dominant of the two.

Any recommendations on how to introduce this baby boy to the two adult boy brothers together with the goal to become part of our male heard? Or is the not recommended?

Hello and welcome. I’m sorry you were surprised with more than you bargained for.

I would advise you not to bond the young pup with the two males. Trios don’t tend to work if they are still fairly young. What you don’t want to do is risk completely breaking the bond between the two adults.

I think your options are:
  1. Bond young one with one of the males. Neuter the remaining male with a view to bonding him with mum and daughter.
  2. Separate young one and put next door to the boars. Neuter him when he reaches four months (when testicles descend) with a view to rebounding him (after 6 weeks) with mum and sister.
  3. Neuter all three and see who will bond with the girls.
You could choose one adult boar to keep with the young one before he is neutered. But the issue would be separating them and bonding the two adults together again. It’s not really a good idea to do that.

The other thing I would advise you is to make sure the adult pair are kept well away from the sows. If you can’t have them in a separate room then keep them on the opposite side. Always deal with the boars first. If they haven’t been around sows, the smell of them (even if they can’t get to them) can cause a rift in their bond.

Failing being able to keep them at opposite ends, you can stack cages with the boars upstairs and the sows on the ground floor.

Hopefully the two adults settle down soon.

PS were you planning to bond the sow with your adult pair? If so, please don’t do this. You can only have one boar with any number of females.

Lastly!, if the boar pup is 250g then he needs separating. It’s either 250g or 3 weeks, whichever comes first.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Great advice given above.

Welcome and I’m sorry to hear of your situation.

I can only agree with everything Siikibam has said.
The baby won’t be able to live with the adult boars as boar trios don’t work. Adding him has obviously upset them so it would be best to not attempt it again.

(The only way you can make a boar herd is to have around 10 boars together to displace tensions and for them to live free range in a whole room covering at least 10 square metres)

I would separate the baby boar when he is 3 weeks old or 250g and keep him in a separate cage but alongside the two girls. Neuter him when he is old enough and then when the six weeks post op wait has elapsed, then bond him back in with mum and sister. Make sure the cage is very secure and ideally lidded so he cannot escape and get in with the girls.
This grouping should be kept well away (ideally in a separate room) from the adult bonded boar pair (you don’t want sows to be around a bonded pair of boars due to the sow pheromones having the potential to ruin a boar bond)

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

Are the two adult boars living together happily again now baby is not with them?

Welcome to the forum
Great advice given there, I would love to see photos of your little piggies 😊

Back