Newbie To Piggys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLawrance25

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm thinking of getting a couple of females, 1st Guinea pigs I've had. I have had rabbits before so know a little, I think! Are they good with children, I have a 2yr old. What are vets bills like? Any advice?

I have guinea pigs and more recently rabbits too! I hope someone will correct me if I get any of this wrong but gunea pigs (and rabbits) are better suited to older children, they are timid shy creatures that are always a little nervous, they are prey animals so therefore essentially run away from being handled! I have never ever been bitten or anything by rabbits or guinea pigs so from that point of view they are good for children but I have to say that my grandchildren are 2 and 4 and I can literally read the "oh no kids are here" face when they arrive, my piggies hide and play dead lol! They are loads of fun though!

Agreed when I worked in a pet store I tried to steer children under age 8 away from the small and fuzzies and encouraged a betta fish instead. I also think that offices tend to be a little more shy than rabbits but it does depend on personality and circumstance.

My piggies have always been great with next door's 4 year old. I would just always supervise the children around the animals. Once they are out and sat quietly in your knee then there is no reason for children not to be able to hold them an stroke them under constant supervision. I would assume that she would be a responsible owner with pets and children so I can't see why it would be a problem at all. Guinea pigs are much calmer than rabbits as pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back