• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

newbie please help

• Thread starter Thread starter ebony+holly pig
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ebony+holly pig

My 2 girls have been scratching all night,so i got holly out and checked her over and behind her ear she has got the starting of hair loss and the skin looks a bit red and flaky it also looks like little bits of dirt on the skin(brown colour),if anyone can give me any idea of what this is and what i should use i would be very gratefull :( :( :( (ebony seems fine just scratching)

They are supposed to have fur missing behind the ear that is nothing to worry about. It could be lice which is why they are scratching a lot. :)

what should i use for lice I'm going out today to get something for it but dont know what to get.

Sometimes the pigmentation looks speckly, but flaky red ears would be a sign of fungal problems. Go to Gorgeous Guineas and get a Melt and some Manuka and Neem shampoo for bathing off- providing they are over 12 weeks old. If this turn out to be mites then they must have Ivermectin which can be given orally (not by injection).

The dirt is probably parasite poo so I would think probably mites/lice as well, if you go to GG some Lice N Easy would be a good buy too :) Email Chrissie at GG for the best Human product to buy your guineas, she reads lots of labels ::)

I'd get Kamillosan for the ears, just to releive the itching, some of the products out there are very harsh on Piggy Ears :) I use the Melts on their ears if they're fungal and when they dry up again put on Lavender and Myrrh lotion.

Thank you for your advice :)
I have got some Kamillosan from boots and i am going to order some stuff off gg, I have bought some lice shampoo for guineas from my local pet shop,so i can do it straight away. I don't want them to be uncomfortable until i get the stuff off gg,so i am going to bath them now i don't want to wait until i get my order off gg cause they look so sad. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back