New to owning guinea pigs.

Gplover94

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there, I got 2 boars from a rescue on Saturday.

They are 6 and 12 weeks old and aren't used to being handled. They were kept in an outside purpose built hutch until I rehomed them.

My question is they are frightened of everything.. They started off by eating lots and drinking barely anything. They've now swapped to drinking lots and eating only pellets and some hay.

I love them dearly already and just want them to feel comfortable and happy. Is there anything I can do to help this?

Thanks!

:wel:
It can take them a while to settle in. Cover their cage so they feel secure and leave them to settle for a week. Ensure hay is available in multiple areas around their cage so they have plenty of opportunity to eat without having to venture far if they don’t feel secure enough to do so. They will drink the amount required and if they are eating veg then that can mean they don’t drink as much as they take water from their veg also.

Hay is their main food source and accounts for 80% of the daily food intake. Ensure pellets are kept strictly limited to one tablespoon per pig per day. Overfeeding pellets can lead to health problems and filling up on pellets can stop them from eating enough hay.

Do check they are both definitely boys, you don’t want to find you’ve got a mixed sex pair.
For boars, space is key - a boar pair need a cage measuring 180x60cm to ensure they have enough space, particularly when they hit their teens. Ensure all hides have two exits so no piggy can get cornered inside one by the other as that is how defensive injuries can occur.

The guides below offer further information

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Hi and :wel: it’s only been 4 days. You should give them a week to settle in before you consider handling. Only poo pick, top up hay and put veg in. Pellets should be 2 tablespoons a day each, if they’re on adult pellets. Make sure you have two of everything - bowl, bottle, hay area etc.

I agree very much with double checking the sex.
Illustrated Sexing Guide

:wel:
It can take them a while to settle in. Cover their cage so they feel secure and leave them to settle for a week. Ensure hay is available in multiple areas around their cage so they have plenty of opportunity to eat without having to venture far if they don’t feel secure enough to do so. They will drink the amount required and if they are eating veg then that can mean they don’t drink as much as they take water from their veg also.

Hay is their main food source and accounts for 80% of the daily food intake. Ensure pellets are kept strictly limited to one tablespoon per pig per day. Overfeeding pellets can lead to health problems and filling up on pellets can stop them from eating enough hay.

Do check they are both definitely boys, you don’t want to find you’ve got a mixed sex pair.
For boars, space is key - a boar pair need a cage measuring 180x60cm to ensure they have enough space, particularly when they hit their teens. Ensure all hides have two exits so no piggy can get cornered inside one by the other as that is how defensive injuries can occur.

The guides below offer further information

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
They are both definitely boys. The rescue lady showed me their parts :). That is the size of the cage as the lady wouldn't rehome them without proof I had that size cage.

That's great advice, I've definitely been giving too much pellets, so I will cut back on that.

They eat more pellets than hay and veg it seems, so I will cut back on that.

Thanks for your advice :)

Back